1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Monkey Grass?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by thebossman, Nov 1, 2006.

1. thebossman

thebossman LawnSite Member

My first lawn care job has some monkey grass taking over her side walk...I told her I would trim it for her and would research some plants for it. I think she has decided to plant something else so I need some suggestions for some other plants. She has a white house with blue trim...so I was looking for something to bring that out a bit. Things I have already looked at are
    1.Spider Grass and 2.Hakone Grass (?). They both seem easy to grow in the South (Alabama Gulf Coast). Oh and she does'nt like flowers because of her allergies. ANY Suggestions would help. Thanks!
  2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Mondo has a much neater look than Monkey grass.
  3. thebossman

Is Mondo just a variety of Monkey Grass? I think Mondo is the kind she has...
  4. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

How about a thin mulch border with dwarf mondo grass clumps every couple of feet or so or with alternating variegated and solid clumps?
  5. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

what are the conditions? Sun or shade?
  6. thebossman

I like the idea about the mulch border...i will run it by her. It's in a really sunny spot. It's the sidewalk leading to the front door.
  7. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

8. thebossman

Liriope (Lilyturf) is Mondo Grass...And Mondo Grass is Monkey Grass...
  9. BHS

BHS LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Liriope is not Mondo Grass!

Liriope muscari `Variegata' is a variegated Liriope (there are non-variegated types also).

Ophiopogon japonicus is a type of mondo grass.

However both are referred to as Monkey grass in different parts of the country, that is why it is best to use scientific names. Each of them has a different growing habit so it is important to know which one you are talking about.

10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Try putting down Minima Jasmine. Its viny type of ground cover and you trim using a line trimmer.
    Your choice is variegated, green, and bonze beauty.