Alternatives to the 'ILLEGAL MAILBOX'

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mack77, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey all!

Getting ready to start passing out those flyers again this season. A bunch of independent contractors have put their flyers on, and in our mailbox already. However, i do not want to get in trouble with the post office, and homeowners for doing this. I have seen the "CHEMLAWN" company do something a little different. Right next to the mailbox, on the ground they drive a plastic stake with thier flyer connected to the top. This seems like a good idea. For those of you who have seen this, is it legal, effective? Also, where can these 'stakes' be purchaced?

2. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

3. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Could this be what they leave after they do an application?
  4. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Yes, after they finish an application they put this down. Could this also be used to advertise?
  5. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

6. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

i would give it a try. They would have to notice it though. it seems a little small.
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You might need a permit for those. Just like when voting you see all those posters or what notl. Someone has to clean it up. I know if someone put something in my lawn I would be pizzed. Put the damn thing in the mailbox so I can throw it away. They are way over postal on the mailbox thing anyway. I personally would not put anything on or in a mailbox. I use magnets from Office Max and put on front door. If they have a wooden door then I usually place between seal and dead bolt. Just my .o2cents
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Just go to the door and put the fier on the doorknob iwth a ruber band.
  9. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

I know I am new here but I do know one thing for a FACT. Yes it is illegal to place a flyer in a mail box but it is NOT illegal to put it on the Flag. My father worked for the USPS for 30 years, my brother for the past 19, and my cousin is Postmaster for one of the local post offices in Chester County, Pa
  10. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

* Advertising on a mailbox or the supporting post of the mailbox is prohibited.
    * Only the United States Postal Service may use mailboxes for delivery without paying postage (Flyers, magazines, notes, letters, etc. found in or on mailboxes may be charged postage due) .
    o If you have received flyers on or in your mailbox, please contact your local Post Office facility.
    o Non-postal information, advertising, and any other matter not bearing postage may be placed in door slots (These are not considered mail boxes).

Note: A receptacle for newspaper delivery by private companies may be attached to the post of a curbside mailbox used by the U.S. Postal ServiceĀ® if the receptacle:

Does not touch the mailbox or use any part of the mailbox for support.
    Does not interfere with the delivery of mail, obstruct the view of the mailbox flag, or present a hazard to mailperson or vehicle.
    Does not extend beyond the front of the mailbox when the box door is closed.
    Does not display advertising, except the publication title.