Alturnamats or Trak mats how uses them?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cleancutccl, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody using alturna mats or trak mats. I've kind of priced them and it looks like they will cost around 3-4k for 12 4'x8' pieces. that seems pretty minimal when alturnamats gives you a 6 year warranty. I think that with these we could get in and get out of patio jobs more quickly, because we would have minimal repair work to do. Of course on major patios you would have grading to do so these might not be needed. Also a nice thing would be to back the dump truck right up to the patio and save some time running back and forth with the skid. The guys that use them how well do they work? I think they would be great for placing trees.
  2. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

you could get (12) pieces of 3/4'' plywood for about $300.00, granted you may only get 1 year out of that ply wood grouping, but at $300.00 a year... it would take you 12-13 years or so to equal that $4000 bill for those special plastic mats you are talking about.. sorry, but I cant justify the costs...
  3. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I looked into buying some myself until I saw the price. I will continue using plywood.
  4. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

We use plywood. We use concrete buggies pr conveyors to run in large volumes of rock if the truck can't get in. Sometimes it is cheaper to add a couple of loads of dirt and re-sod. Plywood on wet ground won't hold up very well with a loaded skid steer. Don't wast money on chipboard.
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I got quoted about $200 per 4x8 sheet of Mud Traks last January. We tried them under a 22 ton tree spade when the temp was about 20 degrees. They didn't crack or deform. They are heavier than plywood. The warranty was 6 years. At $200 each it would be about 6 years before they became more cost effective than plywood. The owner of the company opted not to buy them.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

How would plywood work on steep grades? Wouldn't it want to slip down the hill if it were on grass?
  7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I think any mat, wood or plastic, would slip on a hill if the ground was damp.
  8. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

rubber mats about 3/8- 1/2 inch thick 4X6' made for horse stalls tractor supply has them for $40 and change-- wrk well kinda heavy to toss around and being black they will draw heat and burn grass pretty quick
  9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i have a set of alternamats, they work great we HAD to have them for our 90" tree spade, which will just about break any piece of plywood. anyways I can prove how well they work, on one job I was installing a tree and accidently veered off the mats... sank up to my axles, had to use the spade as a jack to pick the rear of the truck up, with the mats i pretty much floated across the "swamp"
  10. arosan

arosan LawnSite Member

The cost on the DuraDeck is significantly less than Alturnamats or Trakmats.

Handles tree spade, etc.

Ground protection mats.gif