alum. trailer vs standerd metal

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jds720, May 12, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody see a big difference in using a open Aluminum trailer Vs. a Normal iron trailer? Im thinking Alum. might improve MPG

2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

You would have to pull it a ton of miles to save on fuel when you are spending almost twice as much for the trailer up front.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

If your towing with something small it might be a little eisier and improve mpg. The main advantage of an alum. trlr is that steel trailers rust and have to be painted, there ugly in a couple years, they just suck, but are cheap. Aluminum is a little more than double the price. Other advantages would be, light enough to manuever by hand if your in a tight area, and the gate is super easy to lift.

4. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Im just trying to think of ways to save $$$$

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought mine to save gas but only saved about 1 mpg. Mine is 6.5x12, 3000#axel, all aluminum. In my area (Central FL) metal trailers of the same size go for around $1100. I paid around $2400 for mine and think that it is worth every penny. It looks good, came with new tires and alum wheels, hasn't needed any paint for 2 years and the all aluminum floor means that I'll never have to worry about that rotting out. The whole thing weighs around 550#, about half of a metal one with a wood floor. It's like towing nothing.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

you may save with alum. if you plan to keep the trailer for over 5 years, if you think you will outgrow it in that time then just get a steel one. Unless your towing with a little SUV w/ a 3000 # max tow.

7. ezgoer1969

ezgoer1969 LawnSite Member

I tow with a 2005 Jeep Liberty, but the Liberty is built on a full size truck frame capable of 5000lb towing (not that I would) . Bought a 6.6 x 10 for two reasons. Lighter weight, also looks better.
    Use to use a steel one down south, heavy and ugly. Paid $1995 walk out for mine.
    If I already had a steel one here this year, would not have paid to get aluminum. But was in market for one.
    I don't see how Mowerman is only saving 1mpg with saving 500-600 lbs. That much weight difference should give more mpg.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

With a Liberty I would have went aluminum too. Good choice, and real good price at 1995. What kind of mpgs do you usualy get towing your equipment?

9. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

id rather have aluminum ,but for the money and the maintenance (can you weld alum for repair )easier on tire's ,bearing's ,no paint .you have to be right up on checking the weld's for crack's . just my opinion from what i have seen in trailer's they also fall down on the wiring ,(grounds) hard to make a ground on alum and not get corrosion from dissimilar metals . nobody i have seen yet has lights with separate grounds to a common source in a junction box going to the truck plug ,i built my own and man i ran a lot of wire for the ground's with good sealed trucklight lights .

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Because I have the absolute worst luck!!!