1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

aluminum landscape rakes??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gammon landscaping, Mar 13, 2006.

1. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have seen some of these aluminum rakes at john deer landscaping, and i was wondering if anyone uses them for preping yards for seed. never used one but the fact that they are 3 foot wide seems like they would cover alot of ground fast but seem to be flimsy.

well could you guys tell me about these, they are like 70 bucks a pop so i don't want to buy one if i can't use it

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, we use them for seed bed prep. Don't know what I'd do without them....

Well, it would take more time with the rock rake, thats for sure.

3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

One of the best things for prepping soil for seed. Makes leveling easy and getting out the rocks. Locally they're 35-$40 here.
    Get one with a long handle. Mine is at least 7 ft long.

4. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

I have one and it works very well and covers alot of area,mine is not flimsy at all and is just as sturdy as a standard rake. I paid around 40.00 at lowes

5. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

They are great for seeding lawns. I just bought 2 new ones from A.M. Leonard for $45.00 for both at the MIDAM show. I see in the catalog they run about $45.00each.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Wolverine brand 48" wide. Sturdy as can be.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Grade rake is what I call them..40.00 to 45.00 pay no more than that!Well worth it..I use mine for all kinds of different jobs.

8. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

ditto

fundamental tool for seed prep work.

9. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

all they have to do is put the john deere name on it and then they charge double the going rate:rolleyes:

10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Gradeing Rakes, cant live with outem, ours, are sturdy too, not flimsy