1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aluminum or Steel Tandem or Single

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Nov 26, 2006.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I need a new landscape trailer. It obviously needs to be able to haul around two ZTR's and other stuff. The aluminum trailers seem very appealing because they will never rust and they will look like new for much longer. Are they just as strong? I have heard that tandem axles are much smoother and they can hold more, but other than that is it really worth the extra money?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well the aluminum trailer is going to cost you a pretty penny vs. any other trailer you would buy. We went from a 6.5x12 open to a 8.5x16 enclosed trailer. What a difference, in ride and obviously capacity. Your definitely going to need at least a 16ft trailer. The tandem axles tow better then a single axle any way. We paid around 4600.00 for our enclosed (screaming deal)we got the extended height, and heavy duty rear ramp door and wider side door, top vents and interior lighting. You should expect to pay around 2k-2500 for an open trailer (16-18ft). I like the enclosed because we have limited space and I can leave everything on the trailer without worrying if its gonna get stolen at night, plus everything is out of the weather and a little added bonus, it gives you a place to go to get out of the weather when needed. Another added bonus is, if and when you get it lettered up-its a rolling bill-board, I have gotten probably at least 5-10 calls just from my trailer. Good luck in your decision.
  3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is going to be the only trailer you own, I presonally would not consider a single axle. You never know if you will want to haul some bark or other material on the trailer. A single does not give you much capacity for that.

I presonally would consider an aluminum trailer. For the reason you mentioned that it will look nicer longer. JMHO
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Steel is less expencive and tandem axle is the way to go. Get a trailer bigger than you need. Its easy to outgrow your trailer. I bought a 16' in the spring and I'm selling it and buying a 20'.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

ditto on the tandem... I would NEVER buy a single as a primary trailer
  6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

tandem for sure, i bought a 20ft aluminum snow machine trailer last year, i paid 4800.00 for it. So yes aluminum is super expensive.
  7. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

definately dual axle... also make sure the trailer is plenty long, even thuogh you might be able to fit both ztr's on a 16 foot, you will probably run out of room if you put a track vac on and wb's, ect... I would personally get a 20 footer...that is what size mine is and it has plenty of room
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

yeah if you have bagger systems for both of these mowers you will definetly need at least an 18 footer. I would just go with a 20ft trailer and get it over with.
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Quality sells quite a few dump trailers in our area. Their dump trailer are a decent product. I would not hesitate to purchase one of their other trailers.