aluminum spindles on Ferris IS 1500

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ken6224, May 24, 2006.

1. ken6224

ken6224 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I looking at a IS1500 from Ferris ,But I am not sure if the aluminum spindels will hold up.Has anyone used these and will they hold up?

2. Benry

Benry LawnSite Member

Aluminum spindle housing a common place in the industry. Make sure the spindles have grease fittings in the end of the shaft on top. If they do then they are the revised spindle that started last year. These are an excellent spindle. They have been totally reliable.

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, donot know about your particular model but here is my take on the situation. Alloy spindles typically tend to be fitted to the low end machines and usally have only ball bearings. Alloy tends to stretch/distort easier after you have hit object in grass there 4 not retaining brg in housing very well. As you would expect steel housings with tapered roller bearings should tolerate more impacts.Hustler have the two types. Out front commercial mowers only use steel ,cast iron housings. This is a general overview. tomo

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, donot know about your particular model but here is my take on the situation. Alloy spindles typically tend to be fitted to the low end machines and usally have only ball bearings. Alloy tends to stretch/distort easier after you have hit object in grass there 4 not retaining brg in housing very well. As you would expect steel housings with tapered roller bearings should tolerate more impacts.Hustler have the two types. Out front commercial mowers only use steel ,cast iron housings. This is a general overview. tomo