always a dollar short

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have this customer, nice lady, nice husband, no complaints, good to work with. everytime i send her a bill, she pays the subtotal with a money order, and the sales tax by personal check. AND.... she's always $2-$3 off (less). i can't figure her out, she does this every single month. it's none of my business, so i don't ask (about recieving 2 checks every month), but the short 2-3 bucks is. i just add it to her next bill. any idea what would make someone pay by money order for subtotal, and personal check for sales tax? :dizzy:

2. KurtW

KurtW LawnSite Member

She has income in cash that she does not want to create a paper trail on. She buys the money order with cash. She then writes a small check on her personal account that if ever questioned she will claim as lawn expense.....Kurt

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Bid a dollar more than you need and you will come out right :p

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I got a pamphlet from the IRS recently saying you can now deduct sales tax. So maybe its some strange accounting system she has come up with. Wonder how she handles those real small purchases, don't know if 7-11 likes getting checks for 5 cents tax on a soda.

They give you the option of taking a set deduction, can't imagine going to the trouble of tracking sales tax on every single purchase I make.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have one client who pays there bill everyone with 3 checks from 3 separate checking account....its a little strange.

I have several clients who own cash businesses that also send me mail orders every month.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what's a cash business?

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Illegal narcotics might be considered a cash business :cool2:

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Like a pizza shop, any place where most of your revenue is paid in cash.
    I know of apizza place that made 1 million dollars last year, I can only guess how much they really made! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$