1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Always amazes me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by simsy71, Nov 29, 2004.

1. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

This is the second year I did cleanup for this property. The 1st year I used the old tarp method. This year I bought a better backpack blower and push blower. I can put the leaves in the woods. I get done today took me half the time than it did last year and the customer complains to me about why he should pay me the same price. I went into entire thing about better equipment cost more and you the customer gets the same result.
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You buy better equipment for you benefit, not the customers.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

tell him your equipment is not cheap, charge a fair price.
  4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

This business is about being efficient. Better equipment usually allows you to be just that, more efficient. Your rates should not come down because productivity goes up.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

very well put Expert
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Exactly that equipment isn't free.
  7. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

it's it funny when we work hard, and buy better equipment and it takes us half the time the next go around and the customer wants to pay us less. sound like the customer is tryin to make you sound like an hourly rate company. I've had one of those, got rid of her. customers complain about not so much of the result, but the time we we're there. I would tell them very respectfully, "Mam/Sir, you've hired a professional, this is what i do for a living. they usually shut up after that. (at least the normal ones).

it's a crazy world with different people,

Richard/Owner :rolleyes:
  8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Tell him somone has to pay for these new toys lol :cool:
  9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him that you bid the job based on the amount of work that was to be done, not how long it takes you. If it takes you a half hour less because you have better equipment, that doesn't change the amount of work performed, just the time it takes to complete it. If you have to clear a yard covered in leaves, you are still moving the same amount of leaves regardless of how you do it.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. Tell him your price is for the job, not hourly.