always lose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hgotti, Apr 17, 2004.

1. hgotti

hgotti LawnSite Member

here is my story I have been in business for 5 years and i have about 90 accounts,but every year i lose between 5-10 lawns a year,but i also get between 5-10 lawns more.Just tell me does this happen to everybody.I can never grow everytime i gain one i lose one,it is really frustrating,sometimes i just want to give up the whole business. i just get really pissed off when i lose customers

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The question is: Why are you losing them? Is it due to people relocating? Price? Dependabilty? Quality? You cant solve a problem without first determining what causes the problem. Need specifics.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, we lose some every year also.
    Death especially, or else they call and say they are moving into a senior citizen's home. We try to pick up the new owners that will be moving in, but sometimes we don't get lucky. We did get a call this year from a lady that said she was paying for a very large wedding, and she was going to try and maintain her property herself this year.
    So yeah, you will lose. You just got to keep plugging away and try to pick up more than you will lose. We always take on a few extra customers just incase we lose one unexpectedly.
  4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i think that is a high number to lose. we lose them too, but not at that rate.
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mind losing a few now and then if I know it wasn't from bad service. It is nice to get new accounts mixed in, the same stops year after year gets kind of boring. Unfortunately, people die, move, get cheap or decide they need to get off their fat rears and do things themselves. Keep at it, things will turn around if you are patient and persistant and use anti-perspirant.
  6. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

hgotti-I was just telling my wife the exact same thing about me. I feel like everytime I get a new account or two I lose one. Upside is I never lose too much income, downside is i never really get anymore income either.....
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, they come and go. Just have to try to gain more than you lose, not to hard to do.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Hello Hgotti. I wished I had your problem! It took me 5 years to get just 24 accounts and I lost 18 of them in the last 4 months due to death, poor health and a lot of job transfers and have not been able to replace one of them. I am so desperate I ride thru neighborhoods and pick bad yards and will stop and talk to the owners or leave a hanger. We have so many lco there are not enough yards to go around! Looks like Im going to have to become a scrub and start doing yards for 10 bucks to compete. I wished I had 90 accounts and lost 60 right now I would still be in great shape! At least you did replace them. Oh yeah most of the yards I do are once a month ir at best every 3 weeks. Welcome to waycross, Georgia.

BTW this will probably be my last season if things dont change by August.
  9. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

god damn poorman that sucks
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Mexiking, Ive read all the posts here about how a lot of lco wont take a yard unless its every week and somes phones are ringing off the hook, Do they know how lucky they are?? Dang, I would be tickled sh@@tless if I picked up 10 once a month yards right now! We are in a drought and it has rained less than a inch here in last 8 weeks. Some of these folks make me green with envy!