1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Always 'wet' french drain

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by rawtoxic, Sep 15, 2011.

1. rawtoxic

rawtoxic LawnSite Member

I have been asked to bid a french drain to fix an interesting problem.

A guy has a ditch he wants me to install a french drain under the ditch but there is a spring that runs year around in the drainage so this isn't just any ditch it's almost a small creek that happens to be directly adjacent to his driveway flow is around 1-2GPM. What happens is the spring ices up and runs over the road in the Winter and he has been jackhammering ice for the past two years. He thinks by installing a french drain and keeping the water more insulated by being in the ground it will not freeze up. This is on a North facing slope at 7500' in foothills outside Denver. I am unsure this will work but he seems more than eager to hire me to install it. I am a minimum going to run some old wire through my pipe so he can fish some heat tape through later if it does not work but I feel bad even doing it if it will be a failure. If it were only a temporary spring or only during melting periods I would go running from this project. But since the water is always running the homeowner thinks it will keep it open all winter. I have no experience with this - any advice? We could do some culvert installations and I think they would fix it but could would be triple in price and we must cross the buried elect and gas lines!
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion, anything short of a culvert is a waste of money and won't work.
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Stay away without proper engineering he will never be happy and you will have an angry customer.

See if he will pay for an engineer.
    Posted via Mobile Device