AM/FM While you mow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 1, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Ok...confession time. I am a talk radio nut. No, I don't listen "Recipes are us" but I do like listening to the radio.

Any of you guys wear one of those martian looking radio headsets?
    How well do they work?
    What kind is it?
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to wear the yellow Peltor's. In my oppinion, they sucked. It was nice to have a radio to lisen to, but couldn't keep a station and they went through batteries too fast.
  3. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I use the peltors as well and have had no problem with them at all except for at 1 property where I dont get great reception.
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I still use the Peltor work-tunes headset and love them. I've been using mine about a month now and still on the set of batteries that came with it. Every once in a while I have to adjust the tuning, but for the most part don't have any problems. I can't imagine running my equipment without them now. Not only that, but don't have any more ringing in my ears at the end of the day. They're worth the $65 I paid for them.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Radio Shack Racing Headphones ($49) is the only way to go. Plug them into a Walkman, and you are set. Cord is short, which is nice (no getting tangled up in bushes). I suggest purchasing the extended 3 year warranty for $15. It's well worth it.
  6. I wish I'd gotten a better set.

Speaking of that. I just saw a commercial on TV last night for new headphones.
    The way I understood it these were "background noise canceling" headphones. They didn't just block the noise but electronically canceled out the background noise.
    I guess you can do that with sound. Just listen to the noise, then have a speaker broadcast the opposite of that sound back to it and effectively cancel it out.
    I think they were Sony.
    Did anyone else see it?
    Am I right about this or is it just wishful thinking?
    Something like that would be nice. Probably cost a fortune though.

7. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I also use peltor's FM head set. I installed XM satellite radio in my truck. I built a FM transmitter, and I transmit the XM satellite radio out of my truck to my headset. This way I can listen to the 60 and 70 music all day. I use recharge batteries in my head set.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Agree with Work IT..the Peltors are a little heavy and driving under branches may cause you to lose your channel. I dont find they eat batteries more than any other device. On cold mornings they also act like ear muffs. I wear them almost all day every day...I dont miss that awful 2 cycle noise either. And I'm a talk raido nut like you are. You will get hooked on them and find that the day goes by so much better with the music/talk...not to mention you won't go home at night and shout..."HUH, WHAT DID YOU SAY HONEY...SPEAK UP"
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a link to them at Amazon. Click image for link.

10. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

I also looked high and low for a good set of radio-headphones.

I saw another LCO wearing these yellow headphones so I stopped and asked him about them. (Because I too had tried some cheapie headphones and had problems with losing the station etc -- constantly having to tune the radio).

The guy swore by these headphones -- noise canceling too -- rechargable batteries. They looked old and had taken a beating from normal LCO business.

He told me to find them at

Good luck.