1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I a jerk?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rockerchris, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rockerchris

rockerchris LawnSite Member

I had this resume forwarded to me from a employment agency. I called the guy arranged for him to meet me for a quick interview. I arranged to meet him at Starbucks today at 4:00 since I do not have a office. I was there fifteen minutes early. By the time the clock had hit 4:10 he was not there. Reading previously on lawn site that some of you guys would leave almost instantly if the guy is late, I left. The question I have though, is did I give the guy a fair chance? Should I have waited more than 10 minutes? Is this really a jerk move?

It is raining heavily today and we are not doing much, I could have waited around longer...but the guy did not even call. I understand the guy may not have a cell phone and could of had some extraordinary delay. Should I give the guy a call and give him a second chance?

Let me know you would do/what you think?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  2. countryclublawns

countryclublawns LawnSite Member

I'd say that the burden is on this guy now. Unless, for some reason you really want him as an employee. Even if you do give him a second chance I would leave it to him to call you.
    Why waste your time or even worry about it?
  3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with countryclub, if his resume looked so good that you think that he is someone you should persue then I would give him a call and ask if he would reschedule. Otherwise I would wait for him to call and try to reschedule. I would also findout what his reason was for missing the interview before agreeing to do so. If you go seeking him out, you are giving him alot of power as he will feel as if you need him
  4. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

If the job was important enough to him to schedule a interview then he didnt show what will he do in the future for you and your deadlines or just showing up to work. Move on.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I would have left to, it that guys fault for not being there on time!
  6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, move on. If he's late for an interview, he'll never be on time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Your interview candidate is a screw up. Move on.
  8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Agreed..If he cant show up on time for an interview he will never show up on time for work. If he was in a jam he would have called you to say he was running late.
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of what you should have done, you made your decision at the time and I think you should stick with it. If he can't show up to an interview on time, you think he's gonna be able to show up to work on time? I hate when people waste my time, but I would have probably given it 15 or 20 minutes.
  10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You have a Buisness With no Office Why is That?