am i a liar???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 5, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is basically an update to my thread"wet sod" a customer had sod installed in his back yard. i did not ciut it for 3 weeks after install, he has a serious drainage problem, there are areas that r litterally swamplike, the grass in these areas has died and there is nothing left but mud. he insists that this is due to me not cutting, ive been arguing with this guy for a long time, he wants me to repair the dead areas, i told him its not my fault, etc, etc. well, it seems this guy was with holding payment for my grass cutting untill i gave in and agreed to repair his lawn. so....i told him fine, ill repair it, now pay your cutting bill, he did. today the check cleared, and i cancelled service at his property. i was not going to let him beat me out of 6 cuts, i had nothing to do with the damage to his swamp back yard, yet i still feel a little guilty, wait, now im over it.

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I take it you didnt repair the area, or did you? I probably wouldnt have, what a jerk he sounds like.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would say you lied that time, but whats a little white lie when you are being blackmailed. Your money was being held hostage by a crazed homeowner. The police would have done the same thing to help a kidnap victim.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The sod died from lack of air. (Saturation, grass cannot extract oxygen out of water.)
    And perhaps lack of sunlight. (Many backyards are shady and most sod is KBlue.)

The moral of this story is COMMUNICATION. It takes 30 seconds to call, write a note or knock on the door and tell the customer what is going on DURING the sod growing in period. That would have pre-emted all this. Now you need to replace that customer and possibly do damage control.

You're (supposed to be) the profesional, it's your job (and to your benefit) to PRO-ACTIVELY communicate with your customer.

5. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

just hope he doesn't tell all his friends/family/neighbors what a "jerk" you are...even though I thought your actions were justifiable,he obviously didn't see it that way....hope he doesn't talk.This act may have hurt you more in the long run,maybe not though.

6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say that because you said "you were going to fix the sod" that if he takes you to court you would lose. Yes, in my eyes and many others you were right. Heres the problem, because you are assumed to be a business professional your word is basically a contract. Unless you are willing to purger yourself in court(which is a felony) you will end up losing in more ways than I feel like listing. This is from a similar experience. Now if he is a real jerk he may just tell everybody that you suck. A unhappy customer will tell a hundred people but a happy one will tell one. That is the way it usually works.
    I know it would kill you to fix this guys sod but remember that it could be alot worse. I would hold my breath on this one and hope that he doesnt' take you to court.
    Good luck and let us know what happens. I don't think you've heard the last of this guy.

7. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I THINK YOU HANDLED THE SITUATION BEAUTIFULLY AND WOULDN'T EVEN WORRY ABOUT HIM TELLING OTHER PEOPLE. AS "CHARLES" SAID, YOU WERE BEING "BLACKMAILED" INTO DOING MORE WORK JUST TO GET THE MONEY THAT WAS DUE TO YOU. HAS HE CALLED YET? I WOULD ENJOY LISTENING TO HIM BIT$% AND MOAN ABOUT THE SITUATION. THE GUYS A SNAKE. YOU GOT ONE OVER ON HIM, WHEN HE WAS TRYING TO GET ONE OVER ON YOU!!!!

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with Kent Lawns on this one. We are the lawn care professional's. We are going to be blamed even if we had nothing to do with it because of our profession. Seems like this guy was looking for a scape goat, problem is you told him you would take care of it. I would fix it. But that's just me. I never want someone like this to have one on me. So you will be out a little, maybe even a lot but if you do fix this problem you will look like the hero, maybe not to him but to someone he talks to. And he will tell people either way, just depends what you want him to say about you and your work ethics. Think this one through and do what you feel is best, no matter what any of us tell you. That's where the true professional will come out. And you never know, this may open up a much different person in this guy too. I wish you the best either way!:D

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, im impressed, thanks for the backing. i was really trying for weeks now to make this guy understand, i made numerouse trips over there and kept showing him the small ponds in his yard, and the fact that the other areas look good, he refused to even acknowledge a word i was saying. he just insisted that the landscaper who installed the sod would not warrenty it, therefor i should. i talked till i was blue in the face, got nowhere, finnally i just wanted out and my money too. to u guys that like to work for free, please come over to my house, i need lots done. thats right it was pure blackmail he was trying to pull, and he got what was coming. dont forget, that if an oral agreement is as good as a contract, he did agree to pay me for cutting his lawn when we first met, then decided he wouldnt pay untill he got a free sod job, he broke the contract. oh, and did i say i would patch up the dead spots, sure i did, but i meant i would patch them with a large bag of clover seed, still want it?

10. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

Just to cover your 'B' you may want to take a few pictures of the grass and area. Make sure you get a good shot of it holding water. Just in case he does take you to court, you have something to show what actually caused the damage.
    And if you did tell him you would repair the area, did you tell him you would do it for free? If it comes to him taking you to court you may want to consider exactly what you did say and explain that you are willing to repair the area, but you can't work for free.

If it was me and I did say I'd fix the problem, I would attempt to do the job. But I would send him a bill for the work and ask for the money up front. Then if he refuses it's not my problem, I tried and have things documented.

Just my 2 cents.