am i a peasant???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Oct 6, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

in large towns i feel people treat me like a peasant.

i guy walked on the lawn i was mowing about 15 feet away from me....

no wave no head nod just a discusted look on his face. it looked like he was trying not to look at me.

i find this a lot in the larger towns. i like mowing in my home town the best. it seems people actually respect me.
  2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

the look of disgust is due to the way the Twins are playing (played:waving: sorry Buck)

i occasionally get those looks, but they are pretty rare. mostly when i dip into the super market on my way home from cutting, and still have clippings on me.... i pay them no mind.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass-I have felt the same way in the past, it doesn't bother me, I'm proud of what I do. My business mix is about 60% maintenance, and 40% installs. I do installs for some of my maintenance clients, but many installs are referrals that don't know me. I'm not sure if it is me or what, but I really do feel that people are more respectful or nicer to me when I am there to do install work. Not all people, but enough that I have definitely noticed it. I guess it has to do with the "anyone can cut lawns" mentality.
  4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Try moving to New Jersey. You could be dead in the road and they will beep their horn for you to get out of the way!
  5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

That's for sure! They'll run you down in a crosswalk before they'll let you walk in it!:hammerhead: :confused:
  6. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Screw them!!

Are you taking care of YOUR BUSINESS??

Then that's ALLLLLL that matters!

I could really give 2 Sheits about what ANYBODY thinks about my profession, as long as i'm living the way I want to live...who gives a crap.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

grass - you wouldn't be talking around the SW metro, would you??

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've got customers that wouldn't look at you, even though I always try to get a wave in, an upnod, SOMETHING if I don't have the time to stop in a say hi once a month at least.
  8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

yup. this was in shakopee today.

i hate the people in chaska more though.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

yea ppl look at me and my guys with that look everyday...discusted. They don't realize that alot of the owners working in the field are making more than they are at their comfy desk job.
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Well the truth is... these people are utter human garbage!! Don't worry my friend! You don't even want there business! They are in debt up to there eyeballs and are probably disgusting, putrid liberals. If they don't have respect for someone independently working hard to pay the bills, they don't deserve to be breathing... so take a deep breath and be glad you are not in there pathetic shoes!!

Another point, you should be glad to make a living w/ your hands. Many other of these "men" only wish they could be us.