1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I a sellout?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ecoguy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of factors in deciding what is the best way to go, and the no till guys are going back to plowing and/or discing, in this area... The layer of 'black dirt' gets thinner when plowing stops... different parts of the rotation can get by w/out tilling, but for corn it is tilled at least once... the jury is still out and here again, One Size Does Not Fit All... :)

where do decaying organic matter gasses go when they are rotting on the surface?
  2. ecoguy

ecoguy LawnSite Member
    from Duncan

You get it Ted. That's exactly how I've been feeling. I'm Organic but what does that mean practically? That I use Organic products or that I strive to build a healthy soil environment that the grass can sustain itself. Who knows, maybe the lawns will always need me or us (it's definitely better $) ha, but in the big picture, I would imagine our job as organic lawn professionals is to reduce the inputs and/or ensure when there are inputs they are as toxic free/safe as possible. Perhaps we need to approach our work as doctors. We prescribe a program of health (and for the rich we physically do the work) but we are often only called when there's a problem. The rub is always between the money side of the business and the principle side of the business. The doctor approach may be a pure approach but it's less money especially if we train our customers well. I think the principles of our business should always inform the money side and not vice versa. We all know companies who continue with "inputs" whether they are needed or not. The chemical lawn IV may be the most brilliant and dishonest lawn care approach of our time.

I think there's a better alternative. Perhaps as organic business people we can have our cake and eat it too. Perhaps the inputs don't have to decrease (so we don't lose money) but they are just changed to a focus of building the lawns immune system. In other words, our monthly/seasonal visits are for health and disease prevention rather than color and weed reduction. Just a thought. I'm sure you've had it too.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The money side is: though you may try more expensive ferts, they can be used less often... the principled side is: watching the soil for progress and problems...

I am using synferts in the Fall now, just to be more confident that the winterizer is being utilized by the plant before it is too late... Depending on moisture and temps any 'meals' may not even be broken down to the point of usability b4 the ground freezes...
    If you don't have the color and the vigor that you want by now, synferts maybe necessary... as a matter of principle, give the client what you're being paid to do... :)