Am I alone in not liking the ECS controls?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I was going to trade in my almost new Viking 36 but after finding out what a financial hit I'd have to take I'm going to keep it.
    I parked the new mower in late summer so its got only about 30 hours on it. Granted I didnt even break it in but I could not get comfortable with the ECS controls. I just felt like I had to put a death grip on those controls to keep it from going out of control. The dealer said he could put pistol grips on it for about $600. He said I;m not the first guy who does not like the ECS.

I think I heard that when the hydros get broken in the grips will be easier to work.

If you've run ECS I'd be interested in your opinion as to whether I should change to pistols or give it some time to get broken in and for me to get more used to them......thanks

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Give it time. I absolutely LOVE my ECS on my 36" TTHP. I find it very easy on the hands, and easy to use. I would never go back to the pistol grips. I hopped on my buddy's old 36 with pistol grips and it made me appreciate my ECS all the more.

Can they be adjusted maybe? Mine is still new too, but I have had no trouble at all.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

As far as the position of the ECS, I like them. They are pretty stiff, but maybe over time they will loosen up. If it is the asctual grip you are talking about, I am not sure the pistol grips will help much. I have an older JD and the pistol grips are real loose and don't have to squeeze hard at all.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned Exmark w/b's with pistol grips and Ecs controls. The Ecs (although not perfect) is a far cry better than the old pistol style, IMO. I would never even consider going back to pistols after using the Ecs controls.

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32" Viking and like the ECS controls.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit the gym if they're too hard to squeeze. :D

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard this before about the tightness of the grips, but isn't there a way to loosen them up? TJLC and Rob, how long have you had your ecs's Have they loosened up at all from using them?
    I think if we either did a search on the Exmark forum, or asked, someone there would be able to come up with a solution.

8. jgautreau

jgautreau LawnSite Member

Would you sell the mower? How much do you want for it?

9. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Pistol grips use diffrent muscle group on your hands then ECS grips.

So at first, ECS will appear to be more difficult to grip if your experience has been with just the pistol grips.

As you use the machine more, you will find that it will become more and more easier to grip.

Just give it time.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

ECS is just an inverted pistol grip, though they try to disguise it in many ways. Those that are loyal to "Red" will make up any reason to continue putting up with either ECS or pistol grips. Sadly, they are the losers. Move up to the H bar..............
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.