Lawn Care Forum banner

Am I always this lucky?

113K views 605 replies 68 participants last post by  Hollowellreid 
#1 ·
Well, here it is boys, the 430 in all her glory, only 220 hours when we picked it up.. btw, I had nothing to do with tieing it down, that was all Dad, I had a strap across the bucket on the 335 last week.. :cool2:

Look how dirty she got:

I am heading back out, if I dont get in any more trouble, I'll post pics tonight..

See less See more
#177 ·
I couldn't agree with you more.

The EPA is killing the diesel engine slowly and painfully.

The 6.0 has NOTHING on the 7.3 and the 6.4 has nothing on the 6.0 (the PowerStroke family)

The new Ford diesel is going to be the 6.7 Scorpion. It's going to be built by Ford since Ford had a falling out with NaviStar.

I don't know a whole lot about the newer Cummins engines.

One of my loaders has a 5.9 Cummins in it. That's the same engine that was in some Dodge pickups. That engine is awesome. It starts beautifully and requires next to no maintenance in comparison to the loader with the Int'l engine in it. Same loaders just different powerplants.

#178 ·
So if Dodge were to lose the Cummins what reason would there be to buy a Dodge?

There is truly nothing special about Dodge. Just the poor, poor Cummins that gets dropped into them.

I'd love to find an old Ford with standard trans and a grenaded 7.3 so I could get it for a song, rebuild the trans, drop in a CR Cummins and have some FUN.
the 6.7 is having issues, but you've got to remember it is following regulations a year or 2 ahead of the other new diesels, as soon as Chevy and Ford get the kinks worked out they'll have even more where the cummins will be way ahead..

#180 · (Edited)
We have one snowcat in our fleet of 9 that has a 5.9 Cummins in it. Same motor as you could get in the pickups, just tuned up to 275 horses. The damn thing is bombproof. The cat is 7 years old, running on 8,000 hours I think, great motor. She is getting tired though, I think the turbo is not making enough boost. Also, the microprocessor that is linked to the track stick movements in the cab and relays them to the drive pumps may be hanging up somewhere along the line, causing the cat to bog down a lot easier than it should. She's burning more fuel lately too, typically I am burning 6-7 gallons per hour, seems like I'm up to 8 very easy, sometimes 10 gallons per hour depending on the night. Something needs some tinkering on it, but I can't get the mechanics excited about hopping up a 7 year old cat that has no ice cleats, no teeth on the blade, and a couple other minor issues. However, she always starts, always. -5 and not plugged in and she started, cranked hard, but started. The Cat C9's in the other 7 Cat's with the exception of the Mercedes in our lone Pisten Bully, are average at best motors compared to the Cummins in this particular application. They absolutely have to be plugged in or they won't start under 15 degrees.

Curious to see how Ford's new diesel will perform. I've been awaiting it's release. All I know is that when my dad was shopping for a new truck, the 6.4 was not an option given it's track record and Ford's idiotic idea of having to lift the body off the chasis to do any amount of work on the engine. Shame on you Ford.

#181 ·
Junior, the 6.7 was released in '07 or very late '06 if I recall for emissions regulations, just like Ford released the 6.4 thereabouts as well. The Duramax underwent very few changes as far as I understand it for the new standards and has the best track record for reliability after '07 IMO.

#182 ·
Depending on what the 5.9 was made for the mid 90's 5.9 put in Dodge automatics were I believe 275 and the manuals were pushing 300 horse, the new 5.9's (2003+) have 365+

My brothers 2006 5.9 with just a bully dog system has around 500 horse..

#183 ·
Junior, the 6.7 was released in '07 or very late '06 if I recall for emissions regulations, just like Ford released the 6.4 thereabouts as well. The Duramax underwent very few changes as far as I understand it for the new standards and has the best track record for reliability after '07 IMO.
Not many people run the Dura around here, not sure how they run..

But what I've been told by many people was the 6.7 was built with 2010 specs and the dura and powerstroke were built with the 2008 or 2009 specs.. Atleast thats what I was told, not sure if this is totally true..

#184 ·
Curious to see how Ford's new diesel will perform. I've been awaiting it's release. All I know is that when my dad was shopping for a new truck, the 6.4 was not an option given it's track record and Ford's idiotic idea of having to lift the body off the chasis to do any amount of work on the engine. Shame on you Ford.
What they(Ford) were thinking is beyond me, I am with you Scag. Can you imagine if Ford would have went after the 5.9/6.7?

#185 ·
IMO the new Fords are just getting uglier and uglier.

I've seen "seak peak" pictures of a truck with a 6.7 and it was arguably the ugliest truck I've ever seen. They might be changing the styling of it for production, but it was one ugly beast. I really don't like the look of the 6.4s either though.
The hood curves almost 90 degrees and drops a few inches in the front in order to meet the front of the grill. It's pretty dang ugly.

I was looking at an 08 F150 a while ago for a little runabout. It was only 12,000$ or so for a bare bones regular cab long box with an auto trans. The salesman popped the hood for me and I made mention of how the grill stays with the hood rather than the rest of the truck like Dodge has and it made the salesman all nervous. It was pretty funny.

#186 · (Edited)
Depending on what the 5.9 was made for the mid 90's 5.9 put in Dodge automatics were I believe 275 and the manuals were pushing 300 horse, the new 5.9's (2003+) have 365+

My brothers 2006 5.9 with just a bully dog system has around 500 horse..
The 12 valve Cummins (94-97, can't remember exactly when the 12 valve production ended, I'm not a Dodge guy) were 240 horses IIRC. I recall seeing that number many a time. When the 24 valve came out, and I'm having a hard time with the year, I believe they were around 270.

Let's all not forget about Ford's association with Cummins. Why they don't just throw a Cummins in the new Ford's, I don't know, however I think Ford is smarter than that as the 6.7 Cummins is far from perfect right now. Maybe Ford thinks they can build a better diesel, I sure hope so, but they better start making some changes if they ever want to lure me back. 15K miles on my dad's Duramax in 5 months, going strong.

#187 ·
The 12 valve Cummins (94-97, can't remember exactly, I'm not a Dodge guy) were 240 horses IIRC. I recall seeing that number many a time. When the 24 valve came out, and I'm having a hard time with the year, I believe they were around 270.

Let's all not forget about Ford's association with Cummins. Why they didn't just throw a Cummins in the new Ford, I don't know, however I think Ford is smarter than that as the 6.7 Cummins is far from perfect right now. Maybe Ford thinks they can build a better diesel, I sure hope so, but they better start making some changes if they ever want to lure me back. 15K miles on my dad's Duramax in 5 months, going strong.
Ok, I am specing the 24valve then, Dad loved the power of the 24valve so much he actually just about sold off all the 12valves and got the 24s if I remember correctly the manuals were around 20-25 horse more than the autos..

and the 24valve I believe came out in 98, I know cause thats when Dad finally changed his personal truck from a Chevy to a Dodge..

#188 ·
Here's those pictures of a new SD with a 6.7 Scorpion in it.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/im...tos/content/may2008/ford-super-scorpion-3.jpg

Sorry for the long link. Do you see what I mean about the hood though?

BTW: I'm sure that thing over the fuel fill isn't something that will be standard on all trucks.

And sorry to DirtDigger, but I can't stand the look of SRW crew cabs. They look disproportionate. The cab looks like a horse head put on the rest of a truck that looks like a dog's body.

#189 · (Edited)
Yeah I think you're right about '98 on the 24's, if I would have ran a Google search I would've realized that. I did remember the 12's were only around for a short time, the 24's ran for a long time. I do know the 12's are substantially easier to hop up. I have a buddy with a 12 valve with a manual tranny that he's juiced up. Bigger turbo, injection pump, injectors, 5" exhaust, bunch of stuff. It has some bark, that's for sure. Problem is, the rest of the truck is falling apart around the engine, typical Dodge.

Good lord the new Fords ARE getting uglier! The last good year was '06 IMO. They had the normal headlights, but were almost cleared out. Decent looking grill with a progressive and normal hoodline. Ford just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They're paying the price, Ford used to dominate the truck market out here when the 7.3's reigned. I see a lot more Duramax equipped trucks on the road now, almost 2-3 times more, no joke. Which is a bummer, because I think Ford's build quality is excellent, it's hard to find a truck that will stand up to constant abuse that work can deliver. But if the truck doesn't run, how good is the rest of truck?

#190 ·
Good god, that new Ford is ugly! the only new body styles that are coming out of have already came out that look good imo are the dodge and chevy 3/4ton and up, the 1500's are just ugly imo..

My favorite body style ford was the body style before this one, there is one running around town here that is a long bed extended cab with a toolbox and transfer tank that is the same color as our current truck and its got the 5spoke wheels..

#192 ·
And sorry to DirtDigger, but I can't stand the look of SRW crew cabs. They look disproportionate. The cab looks like a horse head put on the rest of a truck that looks like a dog's body.
my buddy says it looks more like a rocketship....then i race him and i show him that it is

Dodge the Father
Ram the Daughter
and Cummin her Sister.....

Duramax?...no my girlfriend uses Tampax

and theres no sense in making fun of Fords...it would just hurts their poor owners feelings cause we all know they are unstable anyway

#193 ·
my buddy says it looks more like a rocketship....then i race him and i show him that it is

Dodge the Father
Ram the Daughter
and Cummin her Sister.....

Duramax?...no my girlfriend uses Tampax

and theres no sense in making fun of Fords...it would just hurts their poor owners feelings cause we all know they are unstable anyway
There's NO way you thought of that all by yourself LOL

Thats funny though!

#195 ·
The 6.4 or the 6.0?

Here's a picture of my 6.0 from this fall.

For the record yes the exhaust on the Mack is facing the wrong way. It has since been replaced.
CAT your pretty good with photoshop. I like the way you brushed tow truck right out of the 6.0 picture.:laugh:

"There is no finer diesel power plant in existence for pickups and med. duty trucks than the DURAMAX TURBO DIESEL" :weightlifter:

#196 ·
Kaiser you're a little backwards on that one.

That truck WAS the tow truck when the GMC Piece of dog sh*t had to go to the shop.

That truck did have some problems within the first 10k though. I'm not afraid to admit that it does have weaknesses. I'm not a GMC/Dodge guy where I feel I have to whitewash all the problems. :laugh:

It wasn't running on all cylinders for a while when it was under warranty. I brought it in 3x.

1st time: Did something with the computer. Ran like ch*t again before it even got home.
2nd time: Replaced part of the wiring harness. Ran well for a month or so.
3rd time: Replaced an injector. I believe it was the #3 injector. Has run well ever since.

#197 ·
I've seen it on a ton of Dodges around here. Except it didn't have the Cummins part. It was just dodge the father ram the daughter.

They also like "I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin"
Oh, I hear ya.

I still rather be Strokin then Cummin...

#198 ·
my buddy has a powerstroke so we want to put windshield decals on that say CUMMIN and STROKIN and drive next to each other in town...

boys lets just say when this summer comes my truck will be one fine piece of ass...only reason it doesn't have 35's yet is because it wouldnt fit in the parking garage i park in here at school...6'8" clearance and the truck is 6'7" to the top of the marker lights

#199 ·
Kaiser you're a little backwards on that one.

That truck WAS the tow truck when the GMC Piece of dog sh*t had to go to the shop.

That truck did have some problems within the first 10k though. I'm not afraid to admit that it does have weaknesses. I'm not a GMC/Dodge guy where I feel I have to whitewash all the problems. :laugh:

It wasn't running on all cylinders for a while when it was under warranty. I brought it in 3x.

1st time: Did something with the computer. Ran like ch*t again before it even got home.
2nd time: Replaced part of the wiring harness. Ran well for a month or so.
3rd time: Replaced an injector. I believe it was the #3 injector. Has run well ever since.
:laugh::laugh:

Thats the nice thing about the D/A combo in the GM trucks. Really nothing to whitewash baby! Other than GM's money problems, thats got me worried, but the trucks run good. I was going to PM you but what the heck I will hijack this thread.

I am dumping the oil in the drives on the MACK. What weight are you running. It will be synthetic but I am not sure what weight of oil MACK wants in their drive axles?

#200 ·
CAT, thats the body style, I freakin love it!

And your truck is beautiful, its exactly the truck I want except make it a low pro utility body, paint it red and put the mural on each side on the long box over the wheel well like I want and it'd be the perfect truck! :cool2:

#201 ·
:laugh::laugh:

Thats the nice thing about the D/A combo in the GM trucks. Really nothing to whitewash baby! Other than GM's money problems, thats got me worried, but the trucks run good. I was going to PM you but what the heck I will hijack this thread.

I am dumping the oil in the drives on the MACK. What weight are you running. It will be synthetic but I am not sure what weight of oil MACK wants in their drive axles?
Yeah, thanks Shane! Just hi jack the already hi jacked thread.. ;) :laugh: :laugh:

And Dirt, your truck is pretty dam sexy already, I couldnt imagine with 35's.. We are dropping a set of 32's(the 35's that come with the wheels wont fit, dam 2 wheel drive:cry:) I'll get some pics, suppose to be doing it next week..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.