am I being fair??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dingybigfoot, Jul 26, 2008.

1. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm located in toronto, Canada. Markham area for those who know.
    This is my first season. I started late, in june. I'm taking my time, I don't have any huge expectations. I plan on growing slowly. I'm sticking to residentials, and am going to plow res's only this coming winter. And next year I'll start to take on a few commercials. I have 4 accounts right now.
    I had an estimate today. I measured her lawn, and it was 2800 sq ft in the back, and 700sq ft in the front. Total of 3500sqft. I quoted her 50 bucks for first cut front and back ( overgrown). and then 45 bucks every 10 days, seeing how its late in the season. She turns around and tells me its too much. "old guy was doing it for $30 a week, but she can't find him. and that her mother has someone who is doing lawns for $50 a month, its just a matter of getting in touch with him". Anyways she took my card and said she'll talk to her husband. I didn't budge. Do I sound reasonable? Gas is 1.25 a litre right now and it isn't a guarantee to stay that way. plus i'm legit with insurance. this **** ain't cheap!
  2. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

with his price being weekly and yours ten days i don't see a problem. charge what you need or your better off to be passing out flyers in the time it takes to mow the yard.

my .02
  3. dingybigfoot

thanx man!
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

No matter what your charge is, there will ALWAYS be someone cheaper. Cheaper isn't always better. In fact, it seldom is. Hold your line and keep checking back with her. Most people say "no" 3 times before they say "yes". Good luck.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Don't worry about it and move on. Only you know what you have to make.
  6. BartonLawn

BartonLawn LawnSite Member

Sure sounds like a reasonable quote to me.

Like you, I just started this year. Ask yourself, do you know if the $50 per month guy even really exists? If you're offering her fair value that's all you can do. Just smile and thank them for considering you, if you're fair about things it'll work out.

Good luck.
  7. dingybigfoot

yeah!! i did find that $50 a month thing kinda hard to believe.
    thats $12.50 a week. InSaNe!!
  8. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

just stick to your price, Don't EVER let a customer talk you into lowering your price. You know what you need to make. Stick to your price, if she does find someone cheaper then thats part of the Biz. Theres Always someone cheaper but cheaper doesnt mean better.
  9. BartonLawn

BartonLawn LawnSite Member

If it's convenient, do a follow up in a week or so. Either they went with the bargain basement guy, or, they may be in need of your services. :)
  10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Completely fair....She's willing to take you on for $30 a week or $60 biweekly( your willing to take $45 bi weekly) Sounds fair to me....