Am I Charging Enough???? Aeration & Seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GREENITUP, Nov 21, 2007.

1. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Now that Aeration & seeding season is over here, I look back and realize that every customer I have (both current lawn program ones as well as new/one times) either tells me that "you beat the other quote I got" or wants me to do the job as soon as I give a price. I am not a "scrub" - aeration and seeding is, however, a big money maker for me besides my regular lawn program income. Anyway - I use a Plugr 800 and Lesco transition Fescue that costs me $1.18/lb. I know most people here don't give direct answers when asked "what should I charge?" - but I will risk it and throw out a few of mine... (and yes - i do a good job)
    A&S @ 4lbs/seed per 1000 = $112.00 for 3k sf(my minimum), $153 for 5k,$255 for 10k, $460 for 20k....and various prices for between size yards.
    How do I compare to your pricing? Anybody know what True-Brown is charging? Thanks for any input.....:confused:

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

They look very good to me! I am in a "lower income" area so I can't charge like most on here.

I will tell you that your prices on the smaller lawns are higher then mine...but your prices on the larger lawns are lower then mine. Anything under 10K I am probably too chep...but I don't deal with many lawns under 10K so I have not looked into it too much!

Overall I don't think you are too cheap!

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Your prices sound about right to me! the 3k may be a bit low, but the others look ok. I have a min of $160 for 5k so were in the same neighborhood price wise. check your competitors prices, get as much as you can! aeration is one job that I would rather charge more and do fewer jobs.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your prices are reasonable, not to low or to high. Your right around what i charge for that, give or take $$. Are you Fertilizing at the same time?

5. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input..... I too would rather charge a little more and do a few less lawns. I do put down starter fert on almost every A&S job....it's my regular round 4 app for current customers (less the weed control)...so it saves a seperate trip..... and that is a seperate charge as well....$46 for 5k sf. ($66 for 10k) How would that rate vs your regular app charge for a 5k &10k lawn????

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

My aeration price is double the application price and the seeding price is the same. simple easy way to figure the price and its on the high side, just where I want it!

7. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used 3 1/2 times the mowing rate for several years with success for aeration. We only quote seed per pound and add that to the above pricing depending on how much we actually use.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, 2x application rate for aeration. Easy to figure that way, too. As far as seeding, I don't know, are you broadcasting after aeration, or slit seeding? I don't do a lot of broadcast seeding. I try to stick with slit seeding. I used to be in the $30/1,000 range, but am trying to get closer to $40/1,000 now.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Aeration prices look good .I charge relatively close to that. I hate doing them so I really jack up lawns with a lot of beds and obstacles.
    Slit seeding I charge $70 per thousand with no guarantees.
    I have not sold one in 4 years! YAY!

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with most. Sounds like you have a good price point to build your buisness on. I also hate slice seeding. I use a ryan mataway, enough said?