Am I charging to much??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnSharkMowing, Jun 1, 2007.

1. LawnSharkMowing

LawnSharkMowing LawnSite Member

Hey this is for mainly the Tampa, Florida guys but any input is okay. I give estimates of $80.00 per month for lawns with a lot size of approx. 60' x 140' give or take depending on size of house. I tell them I will mow, edge, trim, and cleanup(blower) 4 times a month. I have been getting the same reaction from a couple of people that is...."Wow thats kinda expensive". Now maybe its me but I think $20.00 per cut is damn cheap!!! Anyone else???
    Lawn Shark

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im in pinellas county and I do the lawn every week apr-oct and every other nov-march. I dont quote anything less than $90 anymore.

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have more success when I give someone a per cut price, rather than a monthly. I personally think 80 per month is way too cheap if you cut every week. Most of all my calculations put a minimum of 25 dollars per trip on small lawns at a bare minimum. And then you are only looking to make 8 dollars a lawn. In a post a couple days ago I seemed to be against the norm by netting 65 percent of my gross. That would only put me at making 11 dollars per lawn profit. All my equip is paid for, But I still figure depreciation in my numbers. At todays gas prices and equipment prices, no one can afford to do 20 dollar cuts.

4. LawnSharkMowing

LawnSharkMowing LawnSite Member

yeah I dont normally go below $80.00 but Ive quoted a few for $75 and $70 because of the reactions i am getting.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I work out of largo and to be honest if you cant get atleast 80 then walk. Tell them thats the way it is and if they arent willing to pay that then you arent working for free. 80 is my baseline now, I have monthly accounts in the 80-100 dollar range, with the dry azz weather we have had its been tough, this tropical storm should help increase the workload some though. Anyway, 80 a month or 25 a cut is the majority of my business.

6. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i wont and dont do a lawn for less than 100 per month or 25 per week. 25 is my minimum per visit here in southern oregon.

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

When you meet a possible client you should try to upsell as many services as possible that your company provides. We have contracts that we can go over with the client that include our services. The services that we upsell to the client go under contract as they are agreed upon. Don't limit yourselves to mowing only. If you are insured and have proper liscensing you should have a decent service charge minimum. From what I read some of you are cheap. How are you going to pay you medical bills? Do you have medical insurance? Take better care of yourselves pricewise atleast.

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

$80/month is way too low...if they think it's high you don't want them anyway...move on, I used to live in orlando, you should be getting $30/cut AT LEAST.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My wife once spent $275 to get her hair cut and styled. So no, there is no such thing as charging too much. When she told me that (after I calmed down :cry: ) I realized A) I don't charge enough, and B) There's no such thing as charging TOO much :laugh:

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

On the contrary, I don't think you are charging enough.

30.00 per week should be your minimum. That's 8400 square feet, about 1/5th an acre. 30 bucks/cut is not out of line at all.