1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I Charging too Little

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kinglin, May 12, 2008.

1. kinglin

kinglin LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I'm still doing market research and I'm busy looking at what would be a good price to charge. Since I'm a college student, I'm not worried about pulling in a solid income from this, nor looking to cut 100's of lawns at this moment.

I used to cut lawns in my subdivision for $15, with some people giving me $20 as a nice gesture. I put flyers on their doors and 15% of those flyers given went to those who became my customers...pretty good I imagine.

I've done some research on the competitiors and saw that they charge $22/week at the lowest. I'm looking at $18/week ($30/2weeks). That is the price for a lawn that I can cut/trim/blow in 15-30min. I'm wanting to get a good amount of customers at the start and slowly raise the price once I've been established. Am I not charging enough?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It is very hard if not impossible to raise prices later...set your price now or when you raise your prices they will drop you for another guy.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I picked up a NEW customer about a month ago. she had a student cutting her lawn, " he's now devoting more time to school and cant cut her lawn"

I gave her a bid of 65.00 per visit, she told me that the young man was charging 40.00

she said she would give us a try, before we got fininhed she came out and nearly pooped her pants,,,,, She was so happy, she them said WOW there is a BIG diffreance between a young man and pro's.....

and she doesnt mind paying the higher price......

there is NO moreal to this story, Jsut reenforcing, ya get waht ya pay for......
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

dont go entering any spelling bees anytime soon. :laugh:

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

this is why we mow grass
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

btw yes you are charging to little imo