Am I Charging too much???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FloridaMowMan, Jun 8, 2005.

1. FloridaMowMan

FloridaMowMan LawnSite Member

I had a bid into a homeowner who wanted me to do work in her flower beds. She would not be able to pay untill the house sells, so I would have to wait on the money. She agreed to sign a contract. There was 1100 sq ft. of flower beds to clean out the old straw, till up the weeds and replant with straw. She also wanted all the hedges(about 40) trimmed and to include about 20-30 annuals in the front yard. I would provide all the straw and flowers. I quoted her about $800.00 for the work. She called back and said her husband almost had a heart attack when she told him the price. Is this too much? or is the husband a tight wad? I would love your imput on this. Thanks :help:

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

hard to say without actually seeing it myself, but your estimate seems a bit low to me. How long do you think it will take and how much is your cost for materials?

3. FloridaMowMan

FloridaMowMan LawnSite Member

I did a very similar yard in the neighborhood for $835.00. It took about 14 hour worth of work. The materials were about $300.00. That is $38.21 per hour minus the materials. I usually try to get b/t 35-40 an hour for landscaping. I am relatively new (yes I am licensed and insured and am not a teenager) so I am just trying to get feel for what I should charge, making sure I dont get burnt and the customer gets a fair deal.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I wouldnt worry about it, if you had to wait for the money id of walked away.

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

WOW!!!

Is that the normal rate in Fl?

If so that is very very low.

I can make a lot more than that riding a mower and NOT breaking my back.

6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking walk too. Some houses can sit on the market for months or years. Who is to say these people aren't just going to move and tell you to pi*s right on off. I do work for you, you pay me when I'm done. IF you never get your money, not only are you going to be out your sweat, but also $300 or so for materials. Think about it before you do it. $800 is not really that much money for a respectable adult to come up with.

7. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

I have given two similar estimates in the past week and on one with 6 hours labor and 100 in material I bid the job at 850.00. Don't care if I get it or not so I bid high (I'm pretty covered up). Won't hear about that one for a few days but another was 2 men 6 hours (12 man hours) 150 material cost. Price 1100.00. Did that one last Saturday. Lately it seems the higher I bid the more jobs I get. What the heck can I say? No your bid didn't sound high but don't know the hours or area size. Some folks have no concept what the work involves and therefore we seem high. Let them do it, then they will appreciate what you do.
    Tim

8. oakwood

oakwood LawnSite Member

Tell her to have her husbands heart checked and walk.

9. mphillips4739

mphillips4739 LawnSite Member

I don't remember who originally posted it, but another member put it like this "If you get 100% of your bids you are too cheap if you get 0 you are too high, shoot for the middle. If you get 50% you are doing great." I also agree with the others here. I can do better just cutting grass than what you have bid.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Things like this give back-up to the theory that the majority of homeowner don't take stuff like this seriously. They think lawn and/or yard work is menial labor. They want you to come and work 10 hours and only charge $50.