Am I correct in thinking Brigss&Stratton Intek are crap?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vikings, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Would you pay an extra $200 for a honda that is two HP smaller?

They want $1200 for a Billy Goat 8HP blower and $1000 for a 10HP Brigss&Stratton Intek engine. The blower is kind of a seasonal machine but what do you think?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the B&S engines are bad at all. What model Honda engine?

3. Vikings

from canada

Honda OHC GX,8hp, the other specs like CFM and windspeed are almost the same.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have said on more then one occasion that I think the GX series of Honda engines are some the most time tested and best small engines on the market.
    I have customers with units going on over 10 years old, used daily in commercial applications. When I needed to purchase a generator for my home I only looked at units with the GX Honda engines on board.

But once again only my opinion, I am not a paid rep for Honda:cry: but I wish I was:laugh:

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I asked what model. MM77 is correct about the GX model. I would lean toward the B&S if you said it was a GC model Honda.

6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 10HP Briggs Intek I/C engine on my Little Wonder HO push blower and I've had absolutely no problems with the Briggs engine at all knock on wood! THe blower is a 2002 model, I bought it new on 2002 and it probably has around 450 hours on it, with only regular maintenence done on it, no problems at all! I've heard good things about Honda angines on the blowers also, but if I were you I'd get the blower with the bigger Briggs engine, and save the rest of the $$$ for other equipment! :cool2:

7. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

i had nothing but probs with brigss engines on blowers mostly bad valve seats, my 16hp billygoat with vanguard engine hasnt let me down in 10 years, but briggs just throws their stickers on that engine, i heard mitsubishi makes it for them. honda gx's are worth the extra $$$ penny wise pound foolish i am not, youll be buying a new unit id say within 3 years with a briggs engine, and 10 years with a honda, which one is really costem u more? my 13hp honda little wonder is now goen on 8 years, went through 2 briggs blowers before this one in three years. my trailer will NEVER see a briggs engine on it.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not going to "Plug" either engine, Routine MAINTENANCE is the key to the longevity of any engine or piece of equipment. Without proper maintenance ALL brands are crap in a short period of time.

You wouldn't believe the shape of some of the equipment I work on. :dizzy:

9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yes I can :laugh:

10. Vikings

from canada

"It's Always Better To Ask Dumb Questions Than To Make Stupid Mistakes
    If someone else can design it, I sure as heck can figure out how to fix it!"

Restrorob, since your a mechanic could you tell me a little about synthetic oil?

Would you use it on lawn mowers, snow blowers and power rakes? This stuff is more expensive but I figured I would just use regular oil, cheapest stuff in fact, because I was changing it so often. I figured it didn't have a chance to break down the molecular whatever of the oil.