Am I crazy? (apartment bid)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TnToutdoors, Feb 24, 2014.

1. TnToutdoors

TnToutdoors LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

I know its kinda hard to tell from the picture but i Put in a bid on this apartment complex today. Its approximately 8 acres not counting the main street running thru the middle. There will be lots of trimming do to all the trees and sidewalks. Anyway I figured 3 guys for 8hrs at $800 this also included picking up an down sticks. Was told that they had received a bid for $300. Am I crazy?

2. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them to take the 300 bid.

3. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The $33 per man hour you bid is extremely hard to make money with doing commercial accounts. Most people would tell you to not even think of working for less than $35 bare minimum. Most are in the 50-60 range. What if you're off on your time estimate and it takes 3 guys 11 hours? You will literally be losing money on the job.

For the guy that bid $300. Don't expect him to last long AT ALL!

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like a 12 man hour job to me. Half a day with 3
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TnToutdoors

that's exactly what I told them

6. TnToutdoors

so at 12 man hours I would assume you would still be nowhere near the 300 mark

7. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

Yeah your crazy, that $300 bid sounds about right. Unless your mowing it all with push mowers. Good luck:)

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

No around 600 -700

Really depends on how much there actually is too. 8 acres doesn't mean much
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TnToutdoors

So what equipment would you use and how long would you think it would take? Because I fail to see how at 300 you would be making any sort of money

10. TnToutdoors

Ya I mean I was thinking 700 and then put it at 800 to cover my ass in case it were to take longer then I thought. I know its hard to tell from the picture and 8 acres.