Am I crazy? (apartment bid)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TnToutdoors, Feb 24, 2014.

1. olajoe808

olajoe808 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5b

More than one member here is in disagreement with your price, but I get tagged :confused: Don't have to prove to anyone anything, everybody has their on/off days. Back pedaling happens! :laugh:

2. TnToutdoors

TnToutdoors LawnSite Member

Oh and heck I didn't even factor in eating lunch which I'm guessing wouldn't be necessary either to some people.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I didn't tag you.. per se, I just jumped off what you were saying and through in einstein guys comment (I can't figure out who to multi quote different posts)

TNTOutdoor.

You give an ariel photo and THEN afterwards talk about terraces and hills?
    There is no way to see that.
    Never had information before.
    So no way to factor it into price.

Also this walking back and forth thing to switch mowers? big waste of time.
    Customer isn't going to pay for that, they are going with the $300 guy who can pay for his own walking back and forth to switch mowers.

I priced this with my ferris Evos in mind (36" and 52")
    So mine are going to be faster and more agile than your DDs which you are using much more because there isn't as much wide open ZTR style mowing on this property.

So again it can often come to right equipment for the right job.
    Your mower set up might not be anything like your competition, they could be all over this place like flies with 4 wright standers and be in and out in 1.5 hours.

The 'Wright stander' way of doing things is trimmer trap with back pack on back…haul out to your area, set trimmer and backpack down in a mulch bed…mow area, trim area, blow area…move on to next area.

No walking all over back and forth to get a trimmer and then a back pack.
    Lawn Wright/Clip Lawn care kinda invented that way of mowing and shared it with tons of dudes in the early 2000s.

So you really don't know who gave that $300 price and why. they might now everything like that and only target properties they can get away with that system on.
    In which case they aren't walking up and down any hills.

36" standers and 48" standers could do the whole place.

Trimming your own mow area is the most efficient way to do things, no back tracking, no searching out and guessing what needs to be trimmed.

It sounds like from your description you got a lot of back and forth and definitely sounds like you are having guys trim before the area is mowed.
    that's also inefficient.
    Trim after you mow, then you only need to trim what needs it, and several areas especially in the hot months can get skipped entirely, because the deck of the machine overhangs enough to get it.

Lots of unnecessary steps in your description.

Myself and countless thousands spent quite a bit of time in hot desserts wearing NBC "MOPP" suits and gas masks, humping 70 packs around…. walking under shaded trees wearing an 18 pound backpack blower in 85 degree heat isn't 'oppressive' to some people….especially if you;re a mexican…they call that 'spring' where they come from.
    so it's all a matter of perception…
    You're perception is it's hard, and anothers is, it isn't.

Some people might send their mexicans there and don't care if it's hot and hilly, and aren't going to charge extra because their workers are thirsty and uncomfortable.

But mentioning hills and terraces might help, before you are trying to get a price comparison.
    And I still think Evo's/standers and the Lawn Wright attack method will alleviate much of what your concerned with.

4. TnToutdoors

I'm pretty sure the hills were mentioned after the guy that told me he'd do it in 2 hours. The taking time switching mowers was directed to the solo guys. Although I guess you could trailer hitch the 48 to the zero turn and then maybe set the 36 by your feet and then throw some handhelds on each to go from "area to area". Other problem is that there are no "areas" the entire complex flows together.

So are you riding your stander up and down the hills while holding your trimmer to hit the curbs, edge the sidewalks, and trim around the buildings, patios and retaining walls throughout the hills? I'm not even sure the stand on would want anything to do with a few of them and definitely not any of those evos.

And ya my guys trim during mowing. For one I don't believe in the oh my deck got it method. The deck doesn't edge.... And for 2 by now they have enough common sense to know where and where not to hit if need be.

Like you said I should have known better than to post a pic with no indication of elevation changes or being able to see all the sidewalks and what not and expect people to give me good numbers. Obviously some people get it and some don't.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TnToutdoors

And mid summer around here gets to a 100 with 100% humidity. I don't care if your mexi or spent time somewhere hot in a trash bag suit. Cutting 8 hours non stop solo is putting you down eventually which was what the whole heat rant was about. 3 guys can cycle in and out on mowers and trimmer so not so bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I never participate in these threads. Jesus Christ.

You people saying 200-300 are out of your mind. Do you charge $20 an hour or something??

And to whoever thinks it's going to take an hour to trim this place? Lmao

Hard to give a price on something you have no experience in. No one was arguing about it having 8 acres of turf. You don't bid by the acre you bid by the hour.

Say how long should it take to trim 8 acres of turf? No one knows. But looking at this map you can tell
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TnToutdoors

Oh you have 8 acres I've never seen before? Well the tag on my mower says 5.8 acres per hour at 80% efficiency. I've been mowing for awhile so I'll be able to mow 99.9% efficient so 8 acres in 1.34 hours I'll charge $62. Oh dam this 8 acres is awfully bumpy and I just cut for 3 hours and made $20.46 before gas, insurance, wear and tear. Wooohooo
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TnToutdoors

Just got a call saying the leaf removal guys showed up with 2 rakes and a tarp. Maybe I'll go buy some popcorn and sit in my truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

That type of property we would want $100-120 per acre of lawn and we would measure the actual grass area. Do it all the time for fert estimates so big deal there. When you start looking at lawns like this is hard to track the time and its easy to over or under estimate the work. Knowing the real area square footage helps ground you and takes the guess work out. My guess is from the pic we would be $400-500 per cut there. As far as fall clean up goes thats looking to be about $3000 perhaps more.

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

lol You all don't have snow?