am I crazy???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by n2h20, Jul 2, 2005.

1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

SO i have come to a fork in my life. The house i have been renting (super cheap rent) for the last 3 years is in escrow. I cant afford to buy a new house and rent is rediculous.

I have an established pond/water garden business that has been going for 5 years i built from the ground up, however i am limited in my business knowledge and Am not making what i want,.

I have family and a large well known contact in the folsom Ca area, also a soon to be bro in law, sister in law, and 2 nephews. THe bro in law has a horticulture degree and is a very quick with plants. He and i are talking about starting a business up there (im in so cal)
    Am i crazy for leaving a business i worked so hard to build for a Chance to start a new better bigger business?

The folsom/sacramento area is growing very rapidly in housing population. with dirt back yards.

Im confused on what to do and a little help, slap to the face or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  2. n2h20

did that not make any sense or doesnt any one have anything to say??

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Like many guys, I'm not a huge fan of partnerships...however, they do work sometimes. It might be a good fit in your situation, you already have the knowledge as far as the day-to-day business operations, and your brother-in-law has the horticultural knowledge that would be a great asset for you.

I guess you just need to weigh the risks involved in picking up and starting over again, versus staying put and trying to make it work where you are now.
  4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from partnerships. :)
  5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

What he said!!! I'm not clear if your business is being run from your home or you have a site elsewhere for the business. Will selling your business be capable of funding this move? Regardless, moving a family and household is a huge, life-stressing event; as is going into or moving a business. You have a lot of huge things going at once - consider all the possibilities - no matter how far-fetched. How difficult will it be to arrange housing where you would move to? Are you and your future partner good friends already? How weird and/or unpleasant could it get with your sister (or other family)if things don't work out with the business? How about the other way around: business takes off and marriage doesn't? If your family includes kids, what about quality schools?

There are many more things to be considered. It could be wonderful, just don't go into it with your eyes closed.

It's a tough call to make, I hope it works out well for you.
  6. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

would you even consider this deal if you had a comfortable and affordable home located near your current business ?
    i think there are two decisions here home/biz. it would be easier to decide a business question if your housing situation was answered.
    me? i like to keep things simple so i can enjoy my work without the stress of moving my family to an unproven money-maker with an in-law. unless your bored and lonely and want to ante-up.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what all this means. What does well known contact mean? Not sure what all the ln law stuff is about. Are you you getting married or is your brother or sister getting marries and that is how you will have all those in laws?

Sounds like you don't know anything about this future brother in law and that is not good. Partnerships is hard enough with someone you have known a long time. Partners can drift in different directions what they think is good for the business. Going in business with someone you don't know anything about and plus they are related doesn't sound good. If it falls apart their could be bad feelings for many years between relatives.

DON'T DO IT. :D
  8. n2h20

hmm thanks,
    It is my fiances' brother, hes the bro in law. I have known him for 6 years, we get along great, he keeps saying he wants to work for me, so maybe it would be my business and he'd be an employee, that way i have the final word if it needed to be that way. Also i would form a corp either way, (just me or both of us)

A well known contact.... he is a friends dad, my ex boss of about 5 years ago. I lived in the area for awhile. he has many contacts, developers' landscapers' mason's, realators, etc. and could send work my way.
    That area is growing like crazy.

"would you even consider this deal if you had a comfortable and affordable home located near your current business ?"

yes,my fiance and i have talked about it long before we had to move. I really like the area and way of life. Lived up there for a few years, so im somewhat familiar with the area.
    No kids yet but we want kids and would rather raise them up there than in L.A.

the biz would be ran from home to start and hopefully eventually have a nursery/ shop that all biz would be conducted from.

Thank you again as this is a very big decision and thats why i wanted some outside influence.
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi n2h20,

Five years behind you is a lot of momentum. It might be tough starting again from scratch, compared with what you had, but you gotta go where you will be happy.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Learn How to Make your own Logo. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You said it yourself that you're not making what you want. Maybe this is that door that opens from time to time. It's happened to me. If you decide to go the partnership route, communication is going to be vital. There's a lot of negative on here about partners and maybe it's accurate but, partnerships do work if the partners communicate.
    Key points would be;
    What are each of your goals?
    Money invested in the business.
    Compensation for each partner.
    Who does what and when.
    Conflict resolution.
    Timely reassessment of how the business is going and corrective measures.

Some of the partners or former partners can add their tips.
    Keep in mind, there are partners all around you. If it's kept on a professional basis it can work.