1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&SFTW, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Function over fashion is always a winner!
  2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Yellow journalism because they show no before and after pictures.

No pictures showing how much mulched up leaves can be left on the lawn without causing it harm.

No pictures showing how fast the mulched leaves take to disappear.

I have seen lawns that the leave clover was so heavy that there is no way it could beak down fast enough.

Walk in the same woods for years there is always fallen leaves on the ground. This shows that leaves won't break down fast enough when the coverage is to heavy. Another example of yellow journalism is because there is no simple guide to follow at what point leaf coverage would be to heavy to just mulch.

Imagine a LCO reading that article, selling a customer on just mulching and come spring his customer has a lot of dead spots in their lawn.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I thought there was plenty of very useful info in the article. It was done here where I live by a reputable school. In the woods, there is no where near the amount of sunlight or open weather to help deteriorate the leaves, and they don't get mulched up by high speeds blades which also helps them break down faster. I do mulching and/or composting every year with my leaf piles on my own property, and there's a world of difference between just leaving leaves in thick layers leaves (as in what you'd find on the forest floor) and mulching them into little pieces and spreading them out thinly, in just how fast they break down.

Several of my neighbors that don't reallly give two hoots what their lawns look like mulch ever year, and I've been paying attention to their lawns for the last several seasons now. Every single one of them is getting thicker and better looking each year. None have had dead spots in their lawns yet. If you leave a big enough pile or matt of leaves in one place then yea, that would be a problem.

I am more than willing to learn, and to read any article that you have that is better than this one for my area.
  4. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I haven't bagged a lawn in many years and I actually tell clients and potential clients that I don't offer bagging if they ask for it. Haven't had a problem yet.

Work smarter not harder!
  5. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

thank you ridin green for the link.

so because you remove leaves, mulching them couldn't be good for the lawn?

there are many things in our past we did for many years before we realized it was a stupid idea, why can't people realize this may very well be one of them?

the research was done in east lansing, btw, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to anywhere. to all, chopping the leaves up lets them decompose much faster than if left alone.