Am I crazy?!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by D.Landscaping, Oct 2, 2013.

1. D.Landscaping

D.Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm 18, graduated high school last year and have 4 full time accounts and 3 part time. This is a job that I would like to do the rest of my life but lately I've been taking a lot of heat from my friends and family to find a steady job. It almost seems like my business is a big joke to all of them. With all of the advertising I've been doing with no responses it seems hard to believe that my business will grow. Did any of you guys go through the same b.s?

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Show them the money and the joking will stop. It will grow if you work at it. Persistence pays off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

So what are you plans for the winter? Grass cutting is about done in Mass.

4. D.Landscaping

D.Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm planning on plowing, just going to get a cheap plow truck and most likely scrap it at the end of the season.

5. KODAKMOWING99

KODAKMOWING99 LawnSite Member

while your small or part time just get a part time job till you build up your business.do good work at a good price never under sell yourself. every conversation with friends, family or just strangers at the local gas station is an opportunity have a few cards in your pocket and do what you say you will do when you say youll do it, and your a head of the game.

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it's like that. I make more money then most of my customers.

7. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Parents will always try to mold you into there idea of success. Sometimes you need to step back, take a deep breathe, and forget about all the advice people give you. You REALLY have to be passionate about being a self-made man. You are going to spend the next 15 years breaking your back and working 80 hour weeks. Some times you will work for months at a time only to have a couple hundred bucks in your pocket. If you want to have security for the rest of your life, become an accountant. However, if you spend every waking hour thinking about nothing but running a business, then you are in the right field . one day it will pay off.

Lets be honest though. You only have 4 accounts. Maybe you need a swift kick in the arse from reality. When i was 18 i had 50 accounts, but that is because i woke up every day at 6, and FOUND WORK.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

You will make it, it takes time to build the business up. Id also try to learn some sort of trade , to have something too fall back and also use in your business.

In the meantime do what you can to get by, and spend all our free time trying to find customers.

9. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

Go work for another LCO that is successful and established. You will learn how things are done, how long it will take, what equipment is good for what and possibly how to service them a bit. Service your accounts on day off or in the evening. Several guys did just that for the company I worked for and then left to go work for themselves. Both are doing quite well years later.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Good advice Larry. Learn a trade and/or go to College. Get some type of degree that is in big demand in the job market. Take business and marketing to help you run any type business. Usually, the older you get the harder it is to go back to School. Work lawn care part time if you want to and money is a problem.