Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SR Landscaping, Feb 21, 2003.

1. SR Landscaping

SR Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm cutting twenty lawns a day, and I'M on every job. I've been in buisness quite a while, and do it with one "Helper". All my Freinds tell me I'm nuts, but I enjoy the work. I do bring in extra guy's when I need them, but I'm basically ALWAYS THERE. I figure it's fun and keeps me in shape. And when it hits over 100 degrees I'm there to shut it down and pick up the slack the next day.
    Is there anybody else out there over 40 who still enjoys Lawn Maintenence?
    Stevoo

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 43 and still like the work. I have cut back some but still mow on one of the crews 3-4 days a week, especially in the summer when we are slammed here in S. Florida.:cool:

3. SR Landscaping

SR Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

At least I'm not the only one! But hey, your from Florida! Does your vote count? Can't wait to rock! Stevoo

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I love it. Love the outdoors and love the hot weather. Will be 40 in May.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

52 and still body going strong. Wish i could say the same for the brain.

6. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to be 51 next week and I'm really just getting going in the business.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

SR,
    I will be 40 in a few years, but my comment is this:

Sounds like you have found what you love to do and there is nothing wrong with that. At least its not like work for you, because you love it so much. Many people go through life changing so many jobs and careers and never find that 1 thing that they enjoy that much. I am much the same way as you, I enjoy it.

My father loved his line of work, and did it until we closed his business due to his failing health and the economy many years ago. I never understood why he worked so hard all the time, but now I do.

Keep up the good work and dont listen to all those other guys, they have no clue!

8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be 26 in may.
    No way will I be at every job when I'm 40! You guys are nuts.

When I turn 40, I plan on showing up every once and a while just to make sure things are running smoothly. :D

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be 45 this year. I am a solo op and I am servicing 40 customers. I do enjoy doing this and I'll probably be doing it for a while to come.

10. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

49, Going strong and wouldn't't want it any other way.