1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I getting Jerked Around?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by triadncman, Jul 25, 2006.

1. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

I will try to make this long story as short as possible. Bought a Used Toro Z master, out front, w/bagger (the one that looks like a Walker) from a small local dealer for $3900 with 872 hrs on it, a few years back. Really dont use the mower alot. Put about 100 hrs on it since Ive had it. One day I noticed a lot of abnormal vibration when engaging the PTO. after inspection, I noticed the bracket that holds the Blade drive differential on top of the deck was cracked where the set screws fasten to the differential. Obviously the cause of the vibration. I take it in for repair to the same place I bought it. Basicaslly some simple welding. Only problem I have ever experienced with the mower. Drove it onto my trailer, hauled it to the dealer, drove it off my trailer, parked it, and showed the mechanic the problem, and left. The next day they call and explain to me that one hydro pump is busted and needs replacing. Naturally Im asking why, I only brought it in for welding, not hydro work. All he would say is "all i know is its busted out here". It was 4:30pm on a friday afternoon and i was in no position to make it there by 5pm so I told them I would come down Monday morning. I went planning to dispute the fact that it drove fine when I dropped it off. They did not dispute that, adding that they actually drove it from where I left it parked to their corral. They claim that when they went to get it the next day to bring it in the shop, that the pump just blew up upon starting the mower, spraying Hydro fluid everywhere and smoking. Now its locked up and the mower won't even start. Cost of repair $1100 Can this just happen out of the blue upon just starting the mower????
    Their postion is pretty much...."Oh well, sucks to be you" Anyone ever seen a pump do this??? Or been in a similar situation with damage occuring at a service center. Im sure I overpaid for the mower to begin with, sinking another 1500 or so into it is very discouraging.
  2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Some thing smells very fishy about these mechanics, am wondering if they damaged the mower to get more $$$ out of you, would be very hard to prove though.:cry: :cry:
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Yes, it can happen. You have almost 1000 hours on the mower. It may be suspicious that it happened in the dealers lot, but that may just be a coincidence. That is a pretty major repair for them to try to "pull a fast one" on you.

Is this local shop busy? Especially in the middle of the season like this, most reputable power equipment shops are really busy repairing commercial equipment. I wouldn't think that they would actually have to "create" more work for themselves.

Even after paying for the repair, you will still be much less than the price of a new one.
  4. triadncman

tough to say. I guess thats the risk you take anytime you take anything in for repairs. Im more wondering can a hydro pump just go by starting a mower or would it take someone to say....accidentally bump the drive lever forward with it wedged against another machine or something, and leaving it sit there for 5 mins or so, the whole time with it trying to drive forward. Im just trying to determine if they should or even could be held responsible.

UBRKIFIX LawnSite Member

That does suck but!! can you really blame the dealer?or was it just a stroke of luck for(them)ask to see the pump.Is it busted on the out side?what caused this problem?not defending the dealer but not bashing him,Sometimes things just happen for no reason,some folks think just beacuse its at a dealer that nothing can and will happen well thats just not true.On the other hand how well do you know your dealer?any way good luck or sould i say sorry for the bad luck either way its almost friday right?*trucewhiteflag*
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ask (in person) to have the old parts. Usually you can tell if they're lieing if you put them on the spot like this.

They could easily "make all this up" and simply pressure wash the machine and tell you it's "new".

Not many shops leave old "parts" just laying around, so if you ask them to produce YOUR parts, they should be able do so.
  7. triadncman

they showed me the machine, they havent done anything to it yet. the pump is still there, you can see a huge stain on the groung under it and spray from it under the seat. the belt is worn as if it was spinning on a pulley that wasnt turning. I dont feel they delibertly damaged it, but im not sure if they didnt accidentlally damage it as opposed to it just happening out of the blue. its parked in a corral, packed in with many other machines. all im saying is, if they accidenally bumped it into drive wedged up against another machine and burned up the hydro pump Shouldnt they at least be responsible for that repair??? but if it could just happen upon starting the mower then I can never prove that. It just sucks that they were the last ones to drive the mower in perfect working condition, and now it dosnt drive and they have no responsibility
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If it's visibly BROKE, its BROKE.

No sense pointing fingers as to WHO broke it. It won't get you anywhere.

You bought a USED machine with unknown use/care/maintenance. These things happen to USED machines.

Get it fixed and see if they'll take care of you in other ways. (giving you a break on parts....discount, not list, etc).
  9. triadncman

ive actually found the pump online for $200 less than they are trying to sell it to me for so, it appears they are not trying to help me out discount wise. they want anther 500 labor just to put the pump on. I have bought every single piece of equipment I have from these guys, about 17,000 worth. Right now I just don't feel like they appreciate it.

UBRKIFIX LawnSite Member

$500.00 LABOR Thats a rip off whats it going to take 10 hrs @ $50.00 hr.dude time for a new shop!:walking: