Am I getting the worst deal ever?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LiveFromNY, Mar 30, 2008.

1. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY LawnSite Member

I have a bid on my house in Central Texas. It's a small piece of land (approx 4/10 or an acre) with a fairly large house on it.

I just received a bid for some major landscaping... I was expecting a large number but I was not expecting tthe number I received (almost $70k). I am relocating from the east coast and am wondering if I am getting the east coast anti-discount.

Would anyone here be interested in reviewing the quote and giving me their opinion? I am happy to pay for you time.

Thanks in advance.
  2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Shop! Get 3 quotes from area reputable companies. Make sure they have all of their insurance up to date and get some referrals.

I'm from the NE(Boston) and have found locals here in GA to be more than fair. Some of them are like family to me and I've only been here for 5 years. I doubt that your getting screwed because you're from NY........ um, well are you a Spankees fan? That may have something to do with it! ;)

If you want, I'll look over the bid. The thing is...different regions have different pricing/labor rates so I'm not sure if I would be able to nail it for you.

I'll bet you got a heck of a deal on the house in TX as opposed to NY!
  3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

LiveFromNY that price sounds about average. I do a lot of landscape design/installs in Southern Colorado for people that are from that part of Texas. The homes they have here in Colorado are there second or third home. Pricing is comparable. You can pm me if you need more information.
  4. LiveFromNY

All due respect, but your answer is nothing short of inane.

If I told you my quote called for nothing but grass and a single potted plant, does it sound "about average" now?

What if I told you my planned called for several retaining walls, forty stone steps, thirty 15ft plams, a 20x30 flagstone patio, and three koi ponds. Now does it sound "about average"?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input. But the answer you have provided is of no value.
  5. KanAg

KanAg LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I can understand your frustration with estimates that are much more than you hoped they would be. Just like the intial replier suggested, get a couple of bids from other companys that are local and have a good reputation. Then compare what each is doing for you for the money they are asking. It may be you were quoted something on the far high end.....but then again after you get the other bids to review, who knows. Just try to be comfortable with waiting for the other bids so you get exactly what you can afford and not something done cheaply.

The one thing I am absolutely positive about is quality is not cheap and anything cheap is not quality.
  6. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

7. LiveFromNY

My question is perfect. Evidently reading is not your strong suit.

I didn't give specific details because I didn't ask people here to chime in with their opinions (again, it's a reading thing). I ASKED if anyone was interested in getting paid to review my plan and bid.
  8. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should end you career with 3 posts as you are not worth our time here as people are trying to help and you seem like a rich spoiled b@@@@
  9. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

Well you all know that he cant put what he is getting on here for that price because there would be 300 posts on that is crazy and 300 posts on it is right. Also you would have a lot of people on here who dont know what they are doing commenting on things they have no idea on. Now I am not saying I know everything (one reason I never visit the pond forum), but I wouoldnt post on something I know nothing of, but somepeople will. But back to the posters question, if you would like, I would be more than willing to look over everything for ya.
  10. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

im in NY and doing this over 20 years i would like to see and review and i would give you an honest evulation. General rule aroung here is a good landscaping would be around 10% of the house price give or take.