Am I going to kick myself for selling my mower for this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a 2008 Exmark Lazer HP Kohler 27HP with a 52 deck as a left over model a year ago for $7,000 which kick a**. I don't like the dealer that I bought it from (Personal reasons) and its hard to find an Exmark dealer near by. I love my other dealer which warrants my stuff even though it was months late. But he only sells BOBCAT, HUSQ, REDMAX.

Does anyone have a BOBCAT PRO ZTR? Am I downgrading? Just that with the dealer he has been good to me and I would love to deal with just him. He doesn't work on Exmarks just the Bobcat & HUSQVARNA. The people there are like family.

I also like the Kawa motors better then the Kohlers. The price he gave me on some were pretty high but I want at least a 54 or 60 inch.

I love Exmarks but I truly believe in dealer support. I have never ask for advice on mowers but everybody has a first.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

hi yes bobcats great mowers. if i rated mowers id give hustler, exmark and scag a 10.. bobcat a 9.5.. they are right up with the best..

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

How are the bobcats in wet grass or thick dewey grass?

I just don't want downtime. I wish I had two mowers but I can't afford two at once just yet.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a huge fan of Bobcat mowers, that's not to say they're bad...that's just my opinion, but I hear ya on dealer support....that is a very important thing and you need to deal with a dealer that treats you right.

5. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

whats wrong with a new husqvarna?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh...
    I'm afraid they might be all out of those.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You have made a bad assumption, namely needing to make trips to the dealer to support your Exmark.

I bought an Exmark in 1996, and have made a single trip to the dealer once during the off season for only a few of the years since 1996. It has been now at least six years since I've been to the dealer.

I bought a John Deere ZTR three seasons ago. I've been to the dealer a couple of times during the off season to get maintenance parts.

You have a machine that probably has 3,000 service hours available. How much do you create each year? If 600, you have five seasons worth of service before needing to spend more money. If 300, you have ten seasons worth of service. Buying a new machine for the sake of buying a new machine sounds like a wasted exercise, spending money that could be used for other new equipment. Turning over a machine like this with a large capital expense frequently is not necessary, and makes the cost of doing business higher. Use what you have until it needs to be retired. Nothing in the OP discusses reasons to buy a new machine because of quality of cut, maintenance, misfit for requirements.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree with that Roger and anybody can work on Kohlers and get parts for them. No problems here with my Exmark and I am approaching 3000 hrs. He will lose money if he sells the machine.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Mowerbrad should heed your advise too.

10. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the early morning laugh. I don't think I could swith from an exmark.