Am I Going Too Big?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MMLawn, Mar 28, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Ordered a new enclosed trailer today for my overnite traveling crew. I ordered a 8.5'x28' with 5,000 lb Torsion Tandem Axles with electric brakes on all four wheels, break away, frame is 10" steel I-beams, 4,500lb capacity heavy duty rear ramp door, 48" side door, three roof vents, three interior lights, rino-lined floor. We will also install cabinets because if I ordered them through the factory it would add an extra 2-4 weeks on the wait period and I need it sooner than that.

This crew will have it loaded with (3) 60" ZTR's, (1) 36" Wb, (1) 21", (4) trimmers, (2) stick edgers, (2) BP blowers, (1) WB edger, (1) WB blower, and of course the other supplies they will need.

I went to get a 22' or 24' and ended up with this after looking at them all. So, any of you guys that have one that big is it a pain or too big.

2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

No that is the perfect size, you want to have some room to work in there. 3 60in z's will take up 20ft then add the walk-behind and other stuff. I would of went to a 24ft but that me.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Now thats forthought, a few cots in the front and think of the $$$$ you save on motel bills jump another 2' and you can add a stove and RV reefer and then they can do there own cooking. Hire a female driver and they might work for free, Hire the right one and they will pay you. :clapping:

4. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

What are you pulling that thing with?

5. MMLawn

DANG MAC, you are the man! Make them sleep on cots inside the trailer...why didn't I think of that :laugh:

6. MMLawn

2005 F350 PowerStroke Diesel Dually :weightlifter:

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is it just me or do 5000lb axles seem small for a 28 footer??

8. MMLawn

Must be you because it is actually an upgrade as it came standard with 3500# ones and 6000# was the biggest it offered. With the 5K's I'll have 6000# of payload ability as the curb weight of the trailer is only 3990#. This trailer is actually designed and sold as a car carrier also, so the 5K axles are more than enough.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I see, massive trailer that puppy'll be. Congrats!

10. MMLawn

Thanks.. :waving: