1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I headed for trouble?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pace lawn care, Jan 7, 2001.

1. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

My dealer sucks, no question about it. Never have I went in to get something and got the right thing. After about 8 tries, it's getting old. I'm the easiest going guy you'll ever meet, but I've almost had it. They know nothing about the mower, it's always ( I'll call the service Rep.) Really haven't had any problems with the mower yet, but what's going to happen when I do? Should I tuff it out, or trade for a different mower? How much can I expect to lose on this trade? Maybe not as much as down time when I have trouble huh?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

What kind is it? I would sell if before trading it in. You will get more for it and a better deal on a new one from another dealer. Dealer support is very important.
  3. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

Husqvarnar, only other dealer close is Exmark 8 miles, Dixie Chopper 100 miles away. I like the mower, just know I'll have problem's getting it fixed.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

8 miles isn't far, I'd drive 100 miles to a DC dealer if I had to. Go with the best dealer support is my opinion.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Exmark!
  6. I have dealt with dealers here that were that way. And even dealers out of town have done this way. I have Ferris, Woods, Kees, John Deere dealers here, service is the pits with them. There are Grasshopper, Great Dane, Bobcat, Bunton, Walker, and numerous others just 25 miles up the road and their service is not the best in the world either. My last mower I bought was a DC and I drove 65 miles to the dealer to pick it up, the only thing I have done to this mower is change the oil and filters, grease it, sharpen the blades and adjust the pitch on the deck. The dealer has been very supportive when I have needed anything for this mower, (hydro oil, blades) usually getting them shipped UPS that day so I get them within 2 days. If I really needed something bad or need service on the mower they will come to me to deliver the part or pickup the mower, this is a dealer that I will do repeat business with.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The husq'y is a homeowners version of the Ferris Line according to a dealer in NC where we demoed a 48 walk behind.

I am not a fan of the squared backing on the deck and would sell it and upgrade to an Exmark who is now owned by Toro who in my opinon has the best vacuum on the market for a walk behind unit. I think you will find the support of exmark to be worth the while.

In all fairness to Eric I am not familiar with DC and as he said 100 miles is nothing to travel if it means your downntime is cut from days or even weeks to hours.

Hope this helps.
  8. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:( Definetly find a dealer with a reputation for good service!
    Talk to some other companies in your area and ask their opinions on who they use. I purchased a lazer last spring after reading posts here and a long decision process. I am very happy with the lazer that I purchased now. When I picked the unit up the unit burned 4 1/2 gallons in a hour, I was shocked so went to other tank and it done the same thing, it was backfiring, and would slow way down in taller grass,always had to double cut. Took back to dealer and after 4 days all they fixed was the gas burning problem, 2 more times at 2-3 days each time, and no resolve to my problems, on the fourth time, by now it was summer and the growth was slowing down, and was still having to double cut grass. When I picked the unit up, the service manager wanted to give me a written report that was unreadable, and I had a tough time and had to demand to get a printed report that you could read.On the reportthey emphasized that they sharpened blades and cleaned under deck, and that I was taking too much of a cut width, & I should take about half the deck and the problem would be no more, and at the very bottom of the report they adjusted some high end idle or something, the rest of the BS was an insult to me because I told the ******* that I had been using it and the blades would be dull after use, and so i would not pay so much attention on the fact it took them,4 times to fix it and they knew that I was getting more angry each time.Since that last time when they adjusted the high idle I have used it in thick wet grass, thick leaves etc. with no problems. I did a lot of research on this site with commerecial owners but I wish I had also talked to people here to find out about service after the sale, I went to a fairly large dealer, since then I have found a dealer that sounds good and is about 10 min. from my house and he will be getting all of my business. Also it is important that they know enough to get you the right parts. :(

[Edited by mow money on 01-07-2001 at 09:42 PM]
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Go with the best service. I have a Grasshopper dealer 4 miles from my house. But the personel behind the counter is the owners wife and niece and other female relatives(no offence Lanelle). They just don't know the first thing about the equipment they sell. I now go to another dealer thats 12 miles away. They know it all!