Am I impatient or allow more time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Mar 27, 2003.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    Here is the deal. Tuesday I went and put a bid on a commercial job. I wrote the bid up on the spot and handed to the person. The one catch is they also wanted me to submit a bid for plowing and salting. That is someting I had never done. So I asked if they could tell me how large the area was. They could not find anything then but said they would call me with it. I figured I would have heard something by now. I did not want to lose the job over the plowing and salting. Should I call today and ask what they though about the landscaping bid or give it till Monday? Please help and sorry if it is a lot of jumble little nervous now thanks.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I think that if handled with care (read don't be too pushy) your calling them shows that you are serious and want their business. I would give them a call and follow up. You will need to get a lot more specific info to bid on the salting and plowing such as what the trigger is that they want for plowing, dimensions of areas to be cleared etc. Plowsite will be a great place to get some additional info on this. You will need to get some additional insurance to handle the winter activities.

Gravely_Man

3. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

At this point, I would call them and follow up, also check to see if they are still interested in a bid for snow plowing. In the future, get a measuring wheel so when you are asked to submit, you can measure on the spot and know how big the area is. Its not their job to calculate the area for you. they have their own jobs to do. Providing service is the name of the game, be able to anticipate what your potential clients want. Another helpful tip - ask your clients what services they are interested in when you talk to them on the phone, that way when you meet with them, you will already have an idea of what to expect. You will be better prepeared to meet their needs and anticipate any questions they might have. The easier you are to deal with, the less worry they have.

4. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

you definitely should call. shows effort. if a big deal get your measuring wheel or tape out and do it yourself!!!

5. EIB

EIB LawnSite Member

Most commercial places have a spec. sheet, when it comes to plowing and salting. You have to know what trigger they want you to plow at. Were to stack snow. Also when they want salt, you want that to be your decision and put that in the bid. You start with their sheet and add your requirements.

You will also need commercial insurance on the truck to cover the truck, when plowing. You also need liabilty ins. for slip and fall protection.