Am I in over my head with tree limbs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by pattytastik, Sep 19, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I got my first ever request for cutting down and taking away aproximetly 4 medium sized tree limbs. The purpose of this job is to make the guys real estate sign visible. How would I attempt/price this. I have a chainsaw and a truck but no trailer. So I might have to make a few trips to the dump. (they charge $40 per dump). The dump is 20 minutes each way. first picture is of the sign being blocked by the branches and each picture after is of each branch that needs to be cut.

Edit: I didn't realize how close up the first picture is...sorry lol

photo (6).JPG

photo (7).JPG

photo (8).JPG

photo (9).JPG
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pass on this job. With the dump being 20 minutes away and not having a trailer it does not
    seem worth it. A couple of guys with a dumptruck and a chipper would make quick work of that. But if you have the time and you will make a profit then why not.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes if you never did tree work before let me tell you brush/branches adds up real fast in filling a truck/trailer
  4. I would bid this job with no problem, although I would call a tree guy I use and sub it to him.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Bid it like you are going to dump it all, but then give/sell as much firewood as possible. If you dump it all put the heavy on top and try to make 1 trip. Be careful trimming limbs while on a ladder, its a good way to get hurt.
  6. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

I would rent a wood chipper..
  7. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Sub it out. Are you insured for tree work? READ THE FINE PRINT in your policy. What happens when the limb takes off the corner of the roof, or you fall from the tree and break your femur? Are you covered?

And if all the above checks out, rent a dump trailer.
  8. Quix

Quix LawnSite Member

If you do not have the right equipment for cutting those limbs.....PASS. I cannot tell how far off the ground they are. The problem is when you cut the limb, it will bounce on the ground then knock the ladder out from under you. All the while you are holding a running chainsaw.
    When in doubt in a situation like this it's better to be conservative. Just my 2 cents.
  9. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

paul bunyan didn't have a dump trailer.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Is this for real? You are going to hack up a beautiful tree like that so you can see a movable sign? Damn, the idiocy of some people never ceases. Tell the idiot to move his sign. :hammerhead: