Am I making a mistake going into lawn care?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snippy, Mar 20, 2004.

1. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Hi folks, I would like to work for myself and want to get into the whole gardening scene but I see a lot of other operators in my area, am I wasting my time, is the industry at saturation point, can it handle another operater?
    I want to do residential only and have all new equiptment and a trailer lined up which I will pay cash for, so I wont have any debt hanging over my head, is it worth it?

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If this is truly your passion and want to do it and can see this being the last job you will ever have then I would say go for it.
    Good Luck

3. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I say yes it is worth it. If this is something you like try it for a season or two, but know that there is really a lot a work out there, just don't try and go low on your bids, that hurts all those other guys out there and drives the market down. Make sure you get insured though, protects you and your customer, plus it , I feel, gives some crediblity to your biz. Just my opinion.

4. lavan

lavan LawnSite Member

I agree also. You should give it try and there is a ton of work out there. Just don't give up.

Good Luck!!!

5. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

You need to go work for someone for at least 6 months...you'll find out if this is what you want to do...it will give you a good foundation as well...to many guys buy all their equipment and then get out of it a few months later...wasted time and money...

6. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

When you choose to do something you are truly passionate about, it is the last day of your life you will "work".

7. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the encouragement, I am really amazed at the level of satisfaction the posters here seem to have with their lawn and garden ventures. Mostly you seem to be very happy with your chosen proffesion, and hardly have a bad word to say about it.

8. A-1 Lawn Care

A-1 Lawn Care LawnSite Member

9. A-1 Lawn Care

A-1 Lawn Care LawnSite Member

We have made the commentment also! Have spent nearley $10000 with only two cust. We will get more because we made the commentment now.We were retired!!!!!! so much for that now. Have gone to new equp.like Scag and echo and Honda
    GOOD luck!!!!

10. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Dont you think that is the way in ANY business you get into? If you start an insurance company for instance, it is not like you are the first to do it. You just have to be better than everyone else, remeber it is all in the details..