?????am I On Track????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by milsaps118, Oct 15, 2007.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm blowing out on average 6-8 zone systems. For 6 zones it's taking me about 20-25min and on 8 zones about 30-35min. Thats from the time I get out of the truck to the time I get back in and leave, I'm also solo. 95% of the time I have to go inside to find the shut off. Am I on pace or on the slow side? I'm also jumping usually 2 zones at a time and am going to try 3-4 tomorrow. I'm running a 185CFM, is this enough to do 4 zones at once?
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

what is the average amout of GPM per zone?

many heads?
    it takes us about 2 mins a zone with 12 gpm zones average off of 3/4 and 1' pipe with the average of 5 pgp's per zone, with a 40 cfm skid mount.
  3. milsaps118

I would say 12-20 gpm/zone. Most are Hunter PGP or I20 w/3.0-4.0 nozzles at 4-5 heads /zone. Most systems I'm doing are installed w/1" pipe, some of the bigger systems w/1-1/2". I try to do 3-4min per zone but I think I'm letting 'em go closer to 5min. I timed it at 2min/zone and didn't think that was long enough.
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

IMHO you only need 80% of the water out..
  5. milsaps118

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just get so friggin nervous that if there still enough water to freeze and burst the pipe that its going to come back and haunt me next spring. I keep blowing until I can hardly see the water vapors blasting out then I move on to the next 2 zones.
  6. CAPT Stream Rotar

Try 1 otherwise for an expirment..

I know a installer/owner of a big comapny that only drained his backflow ever year.here anyway..never a problem..

just try it.
  7. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

If your are using a working compressor you should be able to do 4 at a time if these are 8 zones with say 4 rotors per zone 12 sprays per zone type of houses. I winterize a 9 hole golf course with a 185 so it's got plenty of push. It also might be easier and less time consuming to pop the valve boxes off and do it manually.

Also, if you don't use a hose reel look into getting one if you don't use one keep the one side of the hose hooked up to the compressor and run it up the tongue into the pickup or the van window if that is what you are using.

Take a good look at getting tags made for the sprinkler shutoff valves and next year have the customer shut the valves off so they don't have to be home. All of our customers, besides the very elderly ones, shut the water off for us because they realize that the faster we go the longer we can keep our prices down at a reasonable rate.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

well said.::tips hat::
  9. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Just make sure the homeowner opens the lower ball valve on the bac-flo if they turn off after you blow out, water is trapped in the hole of the valve and will push out the side of the valve when it freezes. I replaced several last year due to this problem, one I refused to replace and lost his account this year, he hires scab mowers so don't really care, let his mower take care of his sprinkler sys. bet he can't and won't
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you are having to go inside and shut down the water, and also talk with the customer and get a check, then that is typical. If the water is off and you don't need to even ring the doorbell, you're slow. On a 6-8 zone system, if there is a blow out port, 1/2" or 3/4" thread, I can show up, blow out, and be gone in 10-15 minutes if I don't meet with the owner. if I have to go thru the testcock valve, 15-25 minutes. Add 10-15 minutes for dealing with customer.

We need to remember though, this is a service oriented, customer service business. You wouldn't just drop your truck off and not talk to the mechanic about what's wrong. But yes, it would make it so much easier if the water was off and never had to meet with anyone.