1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Am I out of line?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I am very new to landscaping but have been doing lawn maintenance for a while. I just quoted a job and im wondering if I am out of line. This job includes
    - adding roughly 150-200 SQFT in new gardens
    (1 new garden and 3 existing widened)

- removing the sod, tilling and and existing garden with triple mix

- patching about 5 sq ft of bare spots with sod

- Applying Cedar mulch.

I broke this down in to:
    - $385 for labour (2 men roughly 6-8 hours).
    - 2 yards of triple mix at $49 a yard, labour included above
    - 1 yard mulch at $185 labour is included in this price
    - $90 gas and delivery because gas is brutal

Total $758 CAD.

We may also have to rent a tiller so that's $80 cost for us. Does this sound right?

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why is the mulch labor so high? 1yd of mulch should cost $30-$40 cdn tops and should take 2 guys 15 min to spread....for me 16 man hrs is $640 for that type of work.
  3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

With the mulch you triple what it costs you max nothing more then triple if its easy to put down which 1yd is.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I went back and she was fine with it and actually added another $200 worth of stuff. The mulch is for 2 yards + delivery ($40 per yard plus 65 deliver for that and the triple mix). I charged $250 for material cost and spreading. There are many existing plants so it will take a good hour for spreading at least plus I factored in a little bit of my other expenses in to that. Seems like it will work out well though!