Am I over reacting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

First off......I am truly sorry for posting this type of question on this forum however, I need an answer.

I gave a friend of a friend 5 residential accounts this year. I admitted from day one they were the low end of the totem pole type accounts (NO EXTRAS, MOW BLOW AND GO).

He generates a minimum $750 per month from the accounts I gave him.

I was honest and upfront as to why I felt he should get the accounts....He could learn (first year in the biz) and they were not demanding customers.

This person OWNS an oil change shop.......Well, today I go for my 2nd oil change in 3 months. After he finishes he says "This is your last free one". :confused: I send him a text 15 minutes later asking if he was serious and he says YES! I know I could have been greedy and got the engine flush, filter etc. but I don't.

This winter alone I was handing him $2500 per month in EASY accounts close to his house to help him out.

It's not like he is an employee and he's sneaking me in.........he owns the freakin place.

Am I wrong? He is a SUPER NICE guy.

2. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

Favors for friends should follow the same guidelines as loaning them cash. Only loan what you can afford not to get back. Suck it up and move on.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, so let me get this straight...

This guy... you gave him $750 a month in mowing accounts... and you passed to him about $2,500 a month in snow over this past winter... and he's splitting hairs with you over the cost of an oil change?

I mean even if you came in once a month for an oil change... how much can it possibly cost?

Stuff like this burns my @ss to no end when it happens to me.
    Little it may be, but I just can't bring myself to get over it.
    The smaller it is, the worse it is to me.

I may well find out that's a character flaw of mine or whatever, but... well I dunno...

I'm the type of person that doesn't sweat the small stuff. So when someone sweats the small stuff with me when I'm doing great things for them.... well it offends me and I can't get over it.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

what does it state in the contract?

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The $2500 per month is for this coming winter. They are the accounts we could do but don't want to as they are smaller accounts that aren't real money generators for us.

I know this is a minor thing but its the way he said it. Like I was taking advantage of him. I don't care for the $29 or so bucks for the oil change but the principal. I never expect to get something in return for helping others out but I did in this case.

I wanted something in return. This year I realized that everyone tries to burn me and not to toot my own horn but I am the nicest person. I go out of my way to help ANYONE....back to the point.... so, I figured Ill just start expecting things in return and this is how it ended up. Over $29 bucks he will lose out on so much more.

I am over it now.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly what I am saying...

It's not the money or whatever that's involved... it's the priciple that gets me.
    Can't get past it.

In this case, to me the free oil change falls into the category of "friendly jesture" in comparison to what you have done for him.

It's offensive really in comparison... and the free oil change is something he should have never done the first time (or two) if he was not going to continue it as a friendly jesture type thing.

In any event, a person like this... I'd never say a word. I might go right back and py $29 for an oil change... I might not. But what is for sure is that I'd never make a stink of it and I would also keep his "appreciation" loaded in memory at all times, and when something else came along I could pass his way, I'd pass it along to someone else who wants it, needs it and appreciates it more.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think first off, I'd call him and point out that an occasional oil change for all that business is MORE than a fair trade-off.

Second...since he doesn't see it that way, I wouldn't send him those winter accounts.

Third...I'd check my dipstick :laugh:

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Their are three (3) sides to every story, (Your side) (His side) and the truth.
    How long did you expect free oil changes?

A gift is a gift

a trade is a trade

If you are hurt becouse you gave him something and he stopped giveing. it was not a gift from the heart so in the core of your soul you did not give him a gift.

I have a bottom line though and my bottom line is if you only got 2 changes in three months and he went out of his way to say this is the LAST FREEBIE than your NICE GUY is not a nice guy. But he may be a better business man than you are by not giveing his product away for free or at least for not a extended amount of time.
    But take my comment with a grain of salt becouse this is comming from me, a guy who feels accounts without binding contracts pinning customers to the guy you are giveing the accounts to are totaly worthless and holds absolutely no reliable bankable value at first until the customers accept you.

9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I'd make that phone call. Then tell him you need to get together to discuss the financial arrangements for the snow accounts. Sell them or sub them to him. I wouldn't give this so-called nice guy another thing for free.....

10. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Well, you turned him on to the accounts and he gave you a few oil changes in return. What do you want? He is the one doing all the work. Are you mowing the properties and just giving him the money? No. Doesn't sound like it. Why should he give you oil changes for life because you turned him on to a few accounts that he probably could have gotten, or similar, eventually, by himself? You make it sound like you are paying him on the accounts. No. He is doing the actual work on accounts you didn't want anyways. Are you paying for his fuel, time, employees or equipment.
    Sounds like he showed appreciation but there has to be a sunset.
    I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong.