Am I over-reacting???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evermow, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

I have been useing the same dealer for three years. They are less than a mile from my house, and usually do good work. I have bought every piece of equipment I have from them, and now a guy that works up there decided to start doing lawns. I don't mind a little compitition, and I've seen his work and he is not exactly on the same level as I am, so I'm not really worried about that, but about a week ago my wife saw him pulling down one of my flyers at the convenience store in my nieborhood and put up one of his. This is somewhere I have been advertising for the past two years. Also, the last time I went in the shop to get blades, I saw some of his flyers in the mower shop! This is a place that has a good many commercial customers. I just think that this is bad bussiness. I'm not really mad about the guy tearing my flyers down- I'm mad at the owner of the mower shop for letting him work there and advertise his services in his store where I come to get my equipment worked on. I'm sorry, maybe I'm just being a crybaby, but I don't like the idea of my compitition working on or even being around my equipment. I don't really want to make a big deal out of it at the mower shop because I have a mower, chainsaw and blower that I can only get serviced there. I do know that I'll never buy another piece of equipment there. Is this unreasonable? Should I say somthing to the owner of the shop?
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't burn your bridges too soon and don't say anything that would give anyone any ideas about your equipment. I would lay low on this for a while.
    PS quit smokin
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a poor business decision on the shop owners part to me.
  4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I would talk to the dealer about your concerns, if you don't make it confrontation he may take some action on your behalf. Just doesn't make any sense that he would allow this to go on. The fact that he works there and mows is one thing, but to go out and tear down your flyers or be allowed to advertise in the dealership, with the owners blessing would cause me to replace the equipment that forces me to go there, and I would move on.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ihtink the guy pulling down your flyers and putting his in your place is pretty sorry myself, as for the dealer issue I would say that's a conflict of interst, but who am I to judge. If they give you great service, I'd be cool about it, on the other hand if they are like most shops I've dealt with (sorry service&price gougers) I'd tell em' how you feel and find somewhere else.

Just my 2 bits
  6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds damn rude to me!

I'd be too!

Tearing down your flyers is crap, tell him it ain't nice and you both can advertise without tearing eacth other down, failing that get an axe handle and break his knees! lol. j/k.

Shop owner, sounds like a dickhead for allowing it, I'd have a friendly chat with him, I'm sure he can oblige once he knows your concerns.

In the mean time, find another shop in case things go sour....

I never give all of business to one dealer/shop, spread ourself around, you owe them nothing. This way if one craps on you it's no sweat to dump them and give their business to your next proven shop.

Sorry to hear your story mate, things like this stink!

keep ya chin up, but don't let emotions rule your decisions, except for the axe thing, joke!
  7. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Whp prefers what ---Exmark Or Toro and why ????
  8. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I certainly wouldn't be happy about him tearing down your fliers. As for advertising in the dealership, big deal. The dealer I go to is filled with other LCO's cards and what not. Quite frankly I think it would be a waste of time to advertise in there. The only people who go into a mower shop are people who have mowers. I don't think that is the market I would try to target.
  9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since he works at the shop he probably gets a rebate on the parts and he may need to "try out" some of the equipment after it's been repaired.

Yes, definite conflict of interest when an employee of a place that has a LCO customer base goes out on his own time and hurts some of the LCOs' business. Also a conflict of interest cause he could delay your orders or repairs or good ole sabatage (he's already ripped your signs down, what else is he willing to do to hurt you and other LCOs?)
  10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yep I would be worried about him messing with your equipment when you bring it in to have it serviced. Scum bags are scum bags.