Am I overbidding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Speedy_Cut, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Speedy_Cut

Speedy_Cut LawnSite Member

I am currentlybidding a job to top and trim appoximately 80 Emerald Green Arborvitaes. The bid is for 1750.00 They are currently in height anywhere from 10.5'-15' and topping them down to 9' to start with this year.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

To me it seems a little hight opposed to what i would charge. How long would it take you to trim each bush? I would think about 15 mins.

.25 x 80 = 20 x $45 = $900 x 15% margin of error = $135

$900 + $135 = $1035

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming is not going to be the nightmare, clean up and disposal is the time sapper. I would say 10 shrubs per hr including clean up with 2-3 men time 150-165 hr that's about 1200-1300 for the work and a little for disposal, I feel you are right on the money, however someone will do it cheaper, it really depends on if they are wanting you or the cheapest price.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true. Usually when I trim bushes I put down new mulch, so I really don't clean up too well; just get the big stuff. I would increase the price if I had to clean every little thing up. If that were the case, your price is right on the money. But yeah, somebody will do it cheaper!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So go down 5% and then let someone else do it cheaper: 1650 :)

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

This part of the U.S. $1200-$1300 would be the going rate. I get $15-$20 per shrub/arborvitae depending on height. I also have an acreage so disposal is rarely an issue for me and consequently I do not figure this into the cost of the job. I just did a job similar to what you are talking about but on a much smaller scale, I had six 15' arborvitae that needed to be cut down to about 12'-13'. I threw te 12' ladder on the trailer and in between mowing jobs I knocked this out in about forty minutes at $15 per, thats $90 before tax for less than an hour.

Like I said this is the rate for our part of the country, region to region will vary, your best to ask around your neck of the woods and work from there on what you want to charge, also don't discount knowing your costs, if it won't cover your costs then it's time to rethink pricing IMO.

jm .02

-Geoff

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

If they're willing to pay, its never overbidding. One thing I learned, some people like to be charged because it gives them a sense of quality, in which usually it is.

8. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Just a note on the cleanup. I will rent a chipper for $60/half day. That eliminates a lot of time cleaning up. We just did a big clean-up. We had a pile that was about 6 ft high, 10- 15 feet wide and 40 ft long. Mainly tree branches. It took us 1 hour to chip it all up. I even used the chips for mulch. Be creative. Smarter not harder!