Am I paying help too much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

This week I started using a guy I know. I have worked with him before and I like his work. I am paying him $15 per hour. I told another LCO that I am frineds with how much I am paying my help and he thought it was too much. He says he pays his help $10 per hour unless they can run a route on their own, then he pays them $15 per hour. What do you guys think?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems high when you have to do all the leading.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I start my guys out at $9 on 2 cycle stuff

4. gardener

gardener LawnSite Member

in maine 10.50 to 12.00 are starting wages for most lawn care operations with crew leader starting at 14.00 to 16.00 per hour, it only goes up experience.

5. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

what part of maine you from im from bath and I dont every make $7.50 an hour

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am paying

$9 an hour for entry level trimmer w/ No experience.

$12 an hour for a guy that can trim & run a ztr.

$15 an hour for an EXPERIENCED worker.

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

If he is basically just a helper than that may be a bit high.
    I had a helper last year that i started off at $8 and eventually got raised to $10 an hr. He was just a helper doing trimming and blowing or working beside me. It all depends on what your biz can afford to pay and how much he is worth to you.

8. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I just hired a guy and I'm paying him $10.00 an hour. I think that is fair and I will give him a raise in a month if things are going well. In my mind I think $15.00 is high for a helper. That is what I think a guy that is running his own crew should make.

If your paying him legally, you have to remember you have to have workers comp, in Maryland its costing me just over $2000.00, then you have to match a portion of his taxes and if your like me you buy him lunch every day. That can make your $15.00 an hour more like $18.00 an hour.

Howard

9. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

only you can answer this question. If starting pay in your area is $10.00 per hour is he more produtive than these people? Is he more reliable? Does he bring any extra talents that these people don't have? Are you paying this because he is a friend. I have seen many laborers worth $10.00 an hour or less and a few worth $15.00 per hour or more. Are you making money paying him $15.00 per hour, could you make more paying someone else $10.00 per hour and is it worth the extra headaches? these are the questions I would ask myself.

10. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

"Hop-Sing no buy Hoss Cartwright lunch every day!! No can do!! Hoss Cartwright eat too much!! Hop-Sing no can afford to pay for Hoss Cartwright lunch!!! Little Joe----maybe----but no Hoss Cartwright!!!!!":laugh: :laugh: