am i paying to much???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eliahwoodcutter, Apr 21, 2006.

1. eliahwoodcutter

eliahwoodcutter LawnSite Member

hi guys!!!
    this year i finally got me a full time helper. this guy it is great ,lots of experience --very good worker...
    the thing is ,he wants 400$a week no mater what .some time i finish my work in 4-5 hours, and i still pay him 80$.i really like him but ,some time i feel like i pay him to much.

what are you guys thinking???

2. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

My honest opinion - "He Wants $400 then he should do $400 worth of work, by your standards not his. Also i am not sure of your area but typically workers do not dictate what you pay them, they request and you are the only one that knows your expenses not him. I am not saying that anyone should not pay someone what they are worth, i guess i was disturbed by him demanding $400 no matter what. Sounds like a pita to me. What will he want next? :waving:

3. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Well, I'll put in my two cents. I just had a helper that had a 6 hour minimum to come to work. Not that he needed to work the full 6, just get paid. I agreed, because he was well worth it. I have a minimum, as I can understand him that it wouldn't be worth it for him to come to the shop for $45 or whatever.

If you can afford it, and he has the experience, then it is probably worth it. He may even cut your production time down, leaving more time for you to get more jobs or spend with your family. Or just plan more for the day.

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Whos in charge? You or him?

Since when does the employee dictate the terms of the position?

5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

My guy got 400 this week, 44 hours 4.5 days. Run your business and make the money, shouldn't have a problem.

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see - $400.00 for 44 hours of work. Obviously that comes out to $9.09 per hour. More than likely, a benefits package (health ins. and retirement) is not offered. I personally think YOU are getting a great deal. I don't see how this employee can survive, financially. :usflag:

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

The thing is, is he worth a straight $400.00/wk salary? Is it better to pay someone $8.00/hr and only have him show up every other day or to pay $400/wk salary and have a reliable, solid, experienced employee. Plus, you can probably leave this one alone on the site and spend more of your time getting more work which will eventually allow you to work him the amount of hours to make the $400/wk salary more profitable for you.

8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

If it works out that way you are absolutely correct.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Let these mofos go stand in the unemployment line, why is it folks apparently have no problem standing up to the customer's haggling yet bend over backwards for employees? An employee in my book is treated the way you treat the customer, and since you don't bend over backwards for a customer, it stands to reason you don't do it for employees. If they don't like it, the swifter the kick in the bootie that sends them flying out the door, the better!

Around here large lawncare companies pay their employees starting wages of around 7.50 an hour, why it is that smaller / newer companies want to challenge this is something I never will understand. Another way to say it is, you need to rake in a TON but spend a trickle, it's the only way to earn a real profit so yes, charge $60 / hour incoming but spend hardly $10 / hour outgoing (and that's the max, less is better) and you're on your way to learning how to earn Cha-ching !!! Because after windshield time there are days I am lucky to gross 31.75 / hour so it doesn't make sense to spend more than a third of this on labor, and really less is better so start thinking along the lines of 8.00 / hour which is 50 cents more / hour than the large co's and any more is just wasted anyway.

When will employers learn that paying more does not make for better employees?

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

my guys get paid by the hour period .if you dont start until 7:15 then you dont get on the clock until 7:15 .i pay them well .they get good hours also .plus i can leave them to do a job or go on vacation and they will get it done just as i would .