Am I reading this right???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Gatewayuser, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

ya i'll bet the trailer will be included. now the real question is are they going to enforce it on everyone or like everything else this stupid a$$ state does and only enforce it on those who are trying to be legal.

3. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, thats a crazy list. I don't know how there gonna tell someone they cant have a lawn care business in that category because he is Diabetic and needs insulin... Thats really terrible.

4. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

People and their crazy ideas. Perhaps Ohio should have a health care plan of its own....

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

could be that they are tired of incedents like i saw today. i diabetic LCO driving down the road and his sugar dropped and he blacked out and slammed into a car and sent 4 people to the hospital.

6. 360ci

That's true. They should do mandatory health exams even once a year. Most diabetics are decent at keeping their sugars checked, but there are a few that have to spoil it for the others! By doing a health exam on people that are more at risk behind the wheel most monitors can be downloaded these days to check that a said individual is keeping a close watch on him/herself. If their not consistent, revoke their license, simple as that. Only responsible folks should be allowed to drive anyway, and by taking a few thousand high rick persons off the road is a good start.

7. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Well when you or someone you know falls into that category, we will see how your perception changes... Accidents happen, and other non medical related crashes like distracted drivers are far more common.

8. 360ci

I agree. They should have licenses for:

- cyclists (go on and off the road, confusing us drivers while running red lights)
    - pedestrians (people don't look when they cross half the time, they don't value their own life anymore)
    - cell phone use (self explanatory)

9. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

WOW, this is ridiculous...is it saying that you have to have a seperate license to drive trucks between 10001 and 26000 lbs?

Maybe if the state of ohio would focus on the $8 billion budget deficit and leave us landscapers alone? Just a thought as crazy as it may sound.

10. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

This isn't anything new. These are Federal regulations that went into effect a few years ago. Ohio didn't not enforce the rules, but now the feds are requiring Ohio to join in the "fun" or lose highway safety funding. Most of the other states have already adopted these rules. I don't care for them but we have 3 months to get ready. Get your trucks and trailers inspected, get all the new paper work for hiring and for existing employees done, get your medical cards, your PUCO/ DOT numbers, make sure your insurance meets the new requirements, and fill your bank account ( you will be paying sooner or later). They will be inspecting and fining. This is a new source of revenue and we are providing it. Do what you can to minimze your contributions. Let your fellow contractors in other industries know about these changes to so they can get prepared as well.

The 10001 - 26000 includes towed units such as trailers, wood chippers, etc. An F150 with a tandem trailer will put you over the 10001 threshold. If you don't pull trailers and your truck is under, don't kid yourself. Go rent a piece of equipment one a trailer for 1 day and you are now in need of complying.

Watch your loads when plowing snow. I have an F350 4wd. 11200 GVW. The truck weighs around 9000. A snow plow and V-box add about 1800 so I'm at 10800. That gives me a whopping 400lbs of pay load. A person in the passenger seat, a few bags of sidewalk salt, and I'm at my limit with an empty V-box. How much inspection and scaling will go on during a snow storm is any one's guess, but they will at some point be checking.

Good Luck!