am i ready to go full time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Jul 17, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

im currently employed as an auto mechanic and mow/plow part time.im considering going full time next year.i really love the work and the money is really good.ive been looking into liability and health insurance packages to cover myself.i currently have a 95 chevy k2500 w/8ft diamond plow,6x12 open trailer,2003 jd 737 ztr,2000 jd 345 tractor,jd 14sb walk behind trimmer,jd 21c string trimmer,stihl br 420c blower,stihl hs 80 hedge trimmer,stihl hl75 hedge trimmer,stihl fc85 edger,cub cadet chipper/shredder/vac,several chainsaws,and hand tools.now im ony doing 10 lawns.is my equipment good enough?is there other things i should add?what else should i consider in going full time with this business?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't think that the equipment necessarily decides whether you are ready or not. I think that is more the financial situation that decides whether you are ready or not. (And of course clearing it with your wife first before you make a move:D )

3. cntryboymc

im 23,live at home,single and i want to make money for me rather thanmaking the owner of the dealership where i work rich.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Hows the compitition in your area? I would say you have plenty of equipment...
    When your full time, your always buying more.

Your in New York, so you can make a killing during fall cleanup. That alone can set you up nice for next year if you advertise right.

Here in Ct if you tell the potential clients you snow plow, and will take care of them, they usually sign ya on..They just like the idea of one lco taking care of everything for em. Sounds like you can do that.

I started out the same as you, and after the fall cleanup, I was pretty much set.

I was cutting 25 accounts starting at 3:30 in the afternoon. Needless to say I was beat. Fall arrived, I advertised for leaf removal, and immediatly got overwhelmed. Fifty percent of those cleanups wanted plowing for the winter, and lawncare the following year, so I quit the day job, and started my LCO. I havent looked back since.:D

5. bastalker

Hows the competition in your area? I would say you have plenty of equipment...
    When your full time, your always buying more.

Your in New York, so you can make a killing during fall cleanup. That alone can set you up nice for next year if you advertise right.

Here in Ct if you tell the potential clients you snow plow, and will take care of them, they usually sign ya on..They just like the idea of one lco taking care of everything for em. Sounds like you can do that.

I started out the same as you, and after the fall cleanup, I was pretty much set.

I was cutting 25 accounts starting at 3:30 in the afternoon. Needless to say I was beat. Fall arrived, I advertised for leaf removal, and immediately got overwhelmed. Fifty percent of those cleanups wanted plowing for the winter, and lawncare the following year, so I quit the day job, and started my LCO. I havent looked back since.:D

6. cntryboymc

i live just outside a city of 35,000 people.i would say there are really only two well known companies in the area,some larger firms drive about 35 miles to do commercial stuff,then there are a lot of mom/pop operations who do a few here and there.i guess my biggest hangup is what to charge.i mainly work for people i know now.any thoughts?also what else do you do besides leaf removal for fall cleanup?.how do you estimate for that?i hadnt planned to go full time until march 2004 as i wanted to use up my vacation time and try to save up some money for expenses.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's not the amount of equipment on the trailer that makes it happen,it's the amount of drive and determination that YOU have that makes or brakes it.

8. bastalker

Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
    It's not the amount of equipment on the trailer that makes it happen,it's the amount of drive and determination that YOU have that makes or brakes it.

That sums it up pretty good

I dont have any firm rules on quotes for lawncare, fall cleanup, plowing etc...If I am making $50-$60 an hour I am happy. Course taxes,insurance,equipment costs etc.. cut it in half. But what blue collar job pays $25-$30 an hour? There are a few, but I like bein the boss!!

Some days you hit a home run, other days you just get on base. Just as long as you get on base, you will be fine.

9. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

cntryboy,
    If I were you, I would try to get some business over in the Skaneateles area in addition to the City of Auburn. Skaneateles sure has some nice, ritzy areas. You could make some big money over there. Did you know that Bill Clinton spent some time on the lake over there for some summers? That lake is so beautiful and clear. I wish the lakes down here in Tennessee were like that.