Am I Ready?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turf Terror, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

I just picked up a used 2005 Snapper Pro hydro-drive walk behind with a Gravely velky. The mower has only 23hrs on it, Kawasaki engine, and a 36" deck. Paid $1600 from a friend who has moved into strictly doing landscape. He gave me a few of the accounts that he kept.
    Tomorrow, I am picking up my Scag Tiger Cub with a 52" Velocity Plus deck and a 23HP Kawasaki engine....brand new. I ordered the optional soft ride seat that comes standard on the bigger Scag ZTR's.
    I already have:
    Echo string trimmer.
    Echo power head with string, blade, pruning attachments.
    Echo edger.
    Shindawa blower.
    Poulan backup blower.
    Lesco spreader.
    Trailer is being built here in my welding shop...
    8ftX18 enclosed, with 8ft ceiling, 2 5000# torsion axles, 12V powered ramp, 38" side door, external gas can cage mounted on the trailer tongue, 12V internal solenoid door locks(no hasps or padlocks to cut), front workbench with 12V flourescent lighting under the cabinets, .100 aluminum diamond plate floor over 3/4 pressure-treated plywood.
    1998 Ford F-450 w/trash dump bed.
    $1,000,000 Liability Insurance and Licensed.
    $1500 advertising budget--fliers, newspaper ads, etc.

I ain't playin'........LOL

2. pgoulding

pgoulding LawnSite Member

Equipment wise, you are definitely ready. Very nice beginning set-up. Good luck on starting your business.

3. Turf Terror

Thank you...

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great set up best of luck to ya. welcome to L.S.:weightlifter:

5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

$1,000,000 liability will not go far, as a former ride operator you would know this, i would be getting 5-10,000,000 cover, court costs can really add up.

6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Nice startup package! Now it's time to go and bust your a$$ and get to work!! Good luck to you!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

<- owner snip ->

8. Turf Terror

You're right...
    Frivolous lawsuits and nuisance claims were a regular part of the amusement business. But even then, my liability policy for 6 amusement rides travelling the East Coast of the US for 7 months annually was only a $1,000,000 policy.
    However, I did bump it to $5,000,000 for the past 2 years and the cost didn't go up that much. Funny thing...I called the insurance company and told them that two fairs I was going to be working wanted a $5,000,000 liability coverage. They wanted to charge me $900 extra to bump it for just those two weeks. My agent said it would be better to just increase my liabilty to $5mil for the entire year. The premium increase was only $1200 more to go to $5mil for a whole year.....geesh!

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Dang nice setup...how many yards do you have so far?

10. Turf Terror

I got at least 6 and possibly 2 more..before I ever bought my first piece of equipment. I also can assume some of the contracts from the friend I bought the Snapper from, around 8 more accounts...all in upscale neighborhoods with lots around a 1/2 acre and larger. He's been getting $75-$120 per mow for these.
    A few weeks ago, I mentioned my plans for starting in this business to some friends and the next thing I knew, I was getting commitments for services. Right now all I've been doing is rounding up equipment and working on the marketing. I haven't advertised publicly yet. Fliers, mailers and other advertising are being worked on now.