Am I really breaking the law...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Jul 2, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Notice the poistion of the ROPS in the machene in the picture. Last week some 90 year old man came up to me and proceeded to tell me that "by law that roll bar needs to be up at all times, and I will get a fine if an 'inspector' sees me" There can't possibly be any truth to this??

ROPS.jpg

2. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

If you had an employee operating the mower it is possible that an OSHA agency could site you . . . But then again it depends on where you live and what sticklers they are . . . Lets assume you had a roll over accident and were depending on workmen's comp. Well they may decline to pay since you contributed to your injuries through your negligence . . . But real world, I doubt it will happen . . .What about all the mowers sold that do not have a roll bar . . ie Hustlers . . .

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Makes sense.

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

90% of the mowers i see that have the roll bars are either in that position or taken off. I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for having them like that but if a accident did happen you will be liable

5. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

You will have to check with your local codes about that one. I know there is no federal law about it and I really doubt there is anything state or local about it either. Never heard of any city having a "ROPS INSPECTOR" :). If there was any federal law, every zero turn made would have the ROPS standard but it is not. The main reason I believe companies are starting to put the ROPS on more machines is to protect themselves against civil lawsuits in case you roll and get injured. The company will be protected in your case because yours has it and YOU decided to keep it folded. So you will have a hard time in civil court because the average joe still has some responsibility in their actions these day (if you can believe that, but every case is different). Someone else may know more that deals with it but I just think the old man probably heard something on the local news one night about roll over bars and thought they were talking about mowers. Who knows.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm just surprised that a 90 year old man would be familiar with the ROPS...you sure HE wasn't the Inspector??? :laugh: :laugh:

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like the old guy was lonely and wanted someone to talk to. you shouldve offered to take him out for coffee.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am not an employee, hence I do not concern myself with safety regulations concerning employees.
    I am the owner / operator, hence I will concern myself with what I feel needs concern.
    If I get hurt, that is my problem and only my problem.
    All of this is nobody else's concern or problem.

It takes time, but after enough folks wasted my time I developed that look on my face that flat out sends the message to these jokers to don't come around no more. A few still do from time to time but I might get one / year, I used to get this kind of crap all the time.

9. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

better yet take him for a ride on the Z..... with the rollbar down of course.

10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Why wouldn't you use a safety feature ????