Am I resonsible for this???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twins_lawn_care, May 21, 2004.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I have two yards next to each other which have a bad drainage problem. The fence where the two meet is always flooded. If I even try to put a mower through it, I'll just see tire tracks of brown.

My question is, can I say to them that I can not be responsible for mowing that area, or any damage to that area, unless they do something about the problem?

I think I'll just be string trimming the whole area (about 5' x 30') but what a pain.

Anyone else have any yards such as this one?

Thanks as always.

2. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

charge extra to trim it until they fix it

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd point out the problem and if they dont want to fix it then they will have to put up with mud stripes in their lawn.

4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

When I was in the city There was no problems about the drainage. Since I moved to the country and no sewers here, I see this every day. When we did our first few cuts here this year I watched to see what the other LCo's do. Then followed suit.

They would leave the ditch or wet areas and mow the rest, If the wet areas get too tall they use the weed eater to hack it down. Once the spot dries up (which they are doing now) we will cut with the walkbehind or ZTR as usual. The customers don't seem to mind as this is a common thing to see here.

Running the machine through the wet spots just makes things worse for the lawn and the machines.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I had the exact problem last year. I told the customer that until the area dried up, I could not mow where it was wet. There were areas that I did mow that still made a mess of the mower and left the "brown tracks" that you speak of. The grass will recover and they understod that. I would say the best thing to do is communicat it with the customer...I think you'll find they'll understand.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, mow it when it gets dry, but tell the customer why you're leaving it. Unless of course the customer is a PITA, then leave it and give them a reason to get rid of ya. :)

7. RUSTYplowtruck

RUSTYplowtruck LawnSite Member

Why not try to sell them drainage? 100' corrugated 4" pipe costs 25$ dig them a ditch and charge them 300, 400$. Sell them on standing water = west niles virus

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

tell me BRO--you are kidding...right?

whine about string trimming 150 ft/sq?

some of you wanna do a whole drainage control install instead of a 90 second string trim?

it must certainly be a very slow weekend here on LAWNSITE.

GEO :eek:

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

two things you can do: tell them that you can't do it because of the drainage problems, or just do it

10. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

That's 5 feet by 30 feet?

Trim it and go on to the next job.